• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Past Failures. Problematic when applying?

Twist

LAC
Hey guys, bit of a long one here so bare with me, so firstly a bit of background. I got out of college 2 years ago now with good results (A,A,C), and was deciding between university or the RAF at the time. I ended up going for University, which in retrospect I don't completely regret as I met some great people and had a good time, first time away from the family home etc. - the bit I do regret though is completely ****ing my studies up. In truth the course wasn't for me but I have to admit the social side did take an overwhelming precedent.

Now that would be fine as a lot of people make the same mistake but I made it again (albeit under different circumstances). This time it was on a more specific course which I did enjoy a lot more but I was based at home having to travel 45 miles there and back daily, sometimes for just hour lectures. Sadly over the year I had a lot go on with my parents divorcing, having to comfort my siblings, my first long-term relationship ended, blah blah..

Anyway again, I ended up dropping out, in this case it wasn't the work-load per se as I had nearly completed the year but it was after a long chat with my parents I came to the decision that honestly another 2 years, more debt just wasn't the future I wanted. Since dropping out I've picked up a part-time job to help my mum out with the cost of everything going on etc but I've again picked up the idea of doing what I wanted to do originally and that is joining the RAF.

Now I'm not a cocky person, and I certainly have no reason to be after my recent history but I feel that the selection and application process will not be a problem for me. Except for one thing and that is my recent history as described above. I'm just so worried that they'll listen to me talk about it and turn me away then and there (so to speak).

I've been looking at everything RAF over the past month, I've scoured this site top to bottom almost, and I know that this is what I should have done originally and is what I want to do now; the thought of Halton, Cosford, the people I'll meet, the experiences and the team I'll be a part of just gets me so pumped and genuinely excited. I just hate the thought of my past potentially locking me out from this, yes I've made mistakes but I want to rectify them. I want to make my family proud of me and myself of I.

So really I just need advice on how you think AFCO will see my past, and if there's anything I could do to make it seem 'less bad' I guess.

If you managed to get through that then cheers for reading :PDT_Xtremez_26:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Get in contact with your local AFCO and go and have a chat with them... you'll be surprised.

What trades are you thinking of?

Twist

LAC
I actually went down last week but didn't bring this up, pretty stupid I guess - might be worth another trip down or maybe a phone call since the AFCO is quite a distance.

And I'm looking at ICT Technician, in-line with what I did at college and university, so I'm pretty confident and familiar with the basic material.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hey guys, bit of a long one here so bare with me, so firstly a bit of background. I got out of college 2 years ago now with good results (A,A,C), and was deciding between university or the RAF at the time. I ended up going for University, which in retrospect I don't completely regret as I met some great people and had a good time, first time away from the family home etc. - the bit I do regret though is completely ****ing my studies up. In truth the course wasn't for me but I have to admit the social side did take an overwhelming precedent.

Now that would be fine as a lot of people make the same mistake but I made it again (albeit under different circumstances). This time it was on a more specific course which I did enjoy a lot more but I was based at home having to travel 45 miles there and back daily, sometimes for just hour lectures. Sadly over the year I had a lot go on with my parents divorcing, having to comfort my siblings, my first long-term relationship ended, blah blah..

Anyway again, I ended up dropping out, in this case it wasn't the work-load per se as I had nearly completed the year but it was after a long chat with my parents I came to the decision that honestly another 2 years, more debt just wasn't the future I wanted. Since dropping out I've picked up a part-time job to help my mum out with the cost of everything going on etc but I've again picked up the idea of doing what I wanted to do originally and that is joining the RAF.

Now I'm not a cocky person, and I certainly have no reason to be after my recent history but I feel that the selection and application process will not be a problem for me. Except for one thing and that is my recent history as described above. I'm just so worried that they'll listen to me talk about it and turn me away then and there (so to speak).

I've been looking at everything RAF over the past month, I've scoured this site top to bottom almost, and I know that this is what I should have done originally and is what I want to do now; the thought of Halton, Cosford, the people I'll meet, the experiences and the team I'll be a part of just gets me so pumped and genuinely excited. I just hate the thought of my past potentially locking me out from this, yes I've made mistakes but I want to rectify them. I want to make my family proud of me and myself of I.

So really I just need advice on how you think AFCO will see my past, and if there's anything I could do to make it seem 'less bad' I guess.

If you managed to get through that then cheers for reading :PDT_Xtremez_26:

Unfortunately for people in your generation, situations similar to yours (i.e. dropping out of uni due to debt, etc) is becoming more and more common and by the sounds of it, there were certain circumstances beyond your control, e.g. your parents divorce. If you were serious about joining the RAF, a history like yours would not necessarily be a hindrance to your application. After all, you have managed to get work so it shows that you aren't prepared to sit back on your laurels which is a big positive. There certainly isn't anything to stop you putting an application via the RAF Recruiting Hotline (0845 605 5555) However, if you want to put your mind at rest, go to your local AFCO and have a chat with the staff in there. Be honest and tell them the full story. They will give you an honest answer as to whether you are wasting your time or not. Be enthusiastic when you talk to them and express your desire to join. You may be surprised.

Good luck.

Back