• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PC audio 'crackling' sound

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Help! The audio on my PC has suddenly started to crackle badly when I play anything. To date I have:

Checked the audio output plug and socket. Changed from rear to front socket.
Changed the speaker system and the lime green cable/plug.
Upgraded the sound driver to the latest standard.
Taken out all the USB stuff and refitted into different sockets one at a time.
Taken the lid off of the PC and checked security of all plugs and sockets.
Gone in through Control Panel - Hardware & Sound, etc.

None of this has made a scrap of difference. Any thoughts?
P.S. I'm running Vista :PDT_Xtremez_35:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Have you considered removing the Sound board, cleaning the contacts and putting it back ?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Yes, but when I looked inside the sound/motherboard are all in one. Thanks :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Well it might just be on the way out........you can dissable it in the bios and fit a PCI sound card....that should sort your problem

I think I have an old one upstairs......if you want it let me know and I'll have a look for it.

As an after thought is the sound the same through headphones ?

Crack on....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

M

monobrow

As an after thought is the sound the same through headphones ?

Rarely do components break down in a way that it "crackles" and tashy's suggestion is where I would have thought the problem will be...

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I get choppy audio on my XP desktop machine when it reverts to windows zero config drivers rather than the wifi adaptor's installed drivers. Click on your wifi icon in the sys tray and try and change settings, if its using zero-config it'll say there.

M

monobrow

Disabled BIOS - fitted new sound card into PCI slot - installed drivers - booted up. Crackle, crackle, crackle. FECK!!!
So you've eliminated pretty much all of the computer... Tried different cabling or a set of heedphones in the same output?

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Does it crackle all the time, like on boot up, bios and when all up and running? Tried turning down / muting things like line in / phone / mic / etc...?

It only crackles when sound is playing, i.e. the sound is distorted. There isn't a mic fitted. I've tried turning off anything electronic that's nearby, e.g. my Anglepoise with the low wattage lamp, my Nixie clock, the telephone base unit.

M

monobrow

Have you recently put on a codec pack? Or tried to play an unusual file type (.mp4, 3gp, mov, etc) in media player?? It's a bit of a pain in the tits but could explain why it only does it when you are playing stuff. Well it's down to that or interference within the case which is kind of ruled out by the swapping of cards (minus any connecting cables like front panel audio)...

I don't use vista so you'll have to google your way round codec remove / reinstall...

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Well having done everything everyone suggested, I decided that the only thing left was a complete reinstall of Windows. What do you know, it worked! I've lost all my programs, etc (all my files and stuff are backed up on the external drive) but at least the audio doesn't sound like it's been recorded in the local chippy at Friday teatime anymore.
Many thanks for all the PM's, help and suggestions along the way. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back