• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PC Games will not start

• Thread starter Thread starter pie sandwich
  • Start date Start date
P

pie sandwich

Just wanted to ask any other computer geeks out there if they can help.

Every time I try to start a game it will try to run but after just a few seconds will drop down into the task bar.
So far I have tried to reinstall the games, clean inside the comp and download new graphics driver, all dont make a difference.

This is not just related to one game but all of them, however everything else is ok from what I can tell.

P

pie sandwich

ATI Radeon 1950 512mb

P4 3.2gb

2gb ram

120gb main H/drive, some not all games are on external Hdrive (games on either hard drive dont work)

The games i have tried to play are BF2, BF2142, Brothers in arms, company of hero's

Forgot to say when they drop down into the task bar I can click on them they will start again but after a few seconds they drop back to the task bar

Last edited:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
ATI Radeon 1950 512mb

P4 3.2gb

2gb ram

120gb main H/drive, some not all games are on external Hdrive (games on either hard drive dont work)

The games i have tried to play are BF2, BF2142, Brothers in arms, company of hero's

Forgot to say when they drop down into the task bar I can click on them they will start again but after a few seconds they drop back to the task bar

It is not the Graphics Card thats for sure... Grrrr leave it with me

Edited to add... Can you try a lower spec game for me

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
If you are using Zone Alarm it would appear from other forums that this can cause this issue with those games you mentioned.

Some other listed solutions cut and pasted from another forum:

Here are some solutions (and workarounds) to deal with the problem where games minimize to the Task Bar.

1. Install and/or play the game using an administrator account.

2. Keyboard software has been known to cause this problem. One player
posted that by un-installing their Trust Silverline Direct Access keyboard
software, all their games worked again without minimizing to the Task Bar.

3. Norton's AntiVirus (Internet Security) can cause the problem as well. The
workaround is to disable the program. To do so, right click it's Tray icon.
One person wrote: "I just went to the Norton Anti-virus options, and turned
off the Liveupdate auto update option. It worked like a charm for me."

Last edited:
P

pie sandwich

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

The mother F***R.

Why on gods green earth did we have to invent modern technology.

Here goes.

P.E.

You mentioned about a Trust Silverline Direct Access keyboard, not the one I have but I do have a trust gamers mouse, so i will uninstall that, and see what happens

SSH

Err the only game that requires less graphics power that i have is solitare. sorry mate, however I did forget to say I had Brothers in arms working fine last night and that was the only game that worked.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pie my old china,

When did the problems start occuring? Recently? If so, think back to what you have changed on the system recently. If you cannot remember, you could try using the Win XP Recovery Console.

MP

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Hi MP, good question, if it is recent then most changes would be the live updates to the virus/firewall software or the firewall itself, the Zone Alarm solution entails turning it of and trying the games again.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi MP, good question, if it is recent then most changes would be the live updates to the virus/firewall software or the firewall itself, the Zone Alarm solution entails turning it of and trying the games again.

Generally, my fix to this type of problem is to roll back your system one bit at a time, until it's working fine, the item you changed/removed last is usually the culprit.

MP

A

Albert Park

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if that lets you play your games.

Safe Mode is your friend.

Boomerang

LAC
From everything that I've heard I would say somethings a miss wi' yer keyboard. I had a similar problem when playing Half-Life 2. Tha character just decided to go off and do his own thing.

As the keyboard was pants anyway I upgraded to a microsoft Wireless Elite and matching mouse......No problems for about 2 years.

I would either roll back the drivers for the keyboard or replace it.

Back