• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PC repeatedly rebooting

Realist78

Master of my destiny
My feckin computer has started to randomly restart itself, it's even happened when booting up in safe mode. It has occasionally reported a driver problem so all drivers have been updated. It now fails with a status code of 0x0000005. It also happens (though not quite as often) when booting up using my D: drive (C:still connected). So far I have tried known good alternative power supply, RAM, Vid card, sound card. I have also tried a system restore to about a month ago when all was fine. Has anyone any idea of what the problem could be before I become an arsonist!:PDT_Xtremez_40:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I have also tried a system restore to about a month ago when all was fine. Has anyone any idea of what the problem could be before I become an arsonist!:PDT_Xtremez_40:

My first thought was power supply but you say you have changed it...hmmmm

Did you do a full format and reinstall or just use the restore point in windows ?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
My first thought was power supply but you say you have changed it...hmmmm

Did you do a full format and reinstall or just use the restore point in windows ?

Just the restore point in windows. The odd thing is that it does it (although not every 2 minutes like my C drive) on this drive I'm using now which has next to bugger all loaded on it.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My first thought, having dealt with 2 comps that kept shutting down, is a backdoor trojan. The virus checker doesn't get a chance to kick in to get rid of it before system shutdown. I have found that removing the HDD and connecting it to another computer to virus scan it tended to work but hey, that's just my experience.

P

pie sandwich

Are you using the Folding at home prog, if so uninstall it

Also if your sound card and extra usb card are add on's, remove them.

Have you cleaned inside the comp including the cpu heat sink and fan

then try a reboot.

If it still plays up, format the HDD and go for a full re install of everything you need to get the comp up and running, inc drivers but only for MOBO, HDD etc

You should do a full virus scan before and after any of this.

I had something similar to the 0x000000005 thing last year it turned out my 4 way USB card had blown taking the sound card and computer down with it, that with the folding at home made the rest of my computer go wibble.

Hope it helps

P

pjvr99

Pie S has covered the salient points. My last 2 experiences like this cost me a processor & m/board in 1 case, and a m/board in the other. Right now 2 of my machines are down, both with m/board failures (power spiking in the compound where I stayed)

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
You could try running 'msconfig' (START - RUN - type MSCONFIG - OPEN) and select DIAGNOSTIC STARTUP from the radio buttons on the first screen. reboot the PC and it will start with only minimal drivers and background tasks running.
This will help ascertain whether a background program is casuing the issue.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just a thought, have you by any chance spilt something on the keyboard/start button. Could it be damp in the start switch?

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Pie S has covered the salient points. My last 2 experiences like this cost me a processor & m/board in 1 case, and a m/board in the other. Right now 2 of my machines are down, both with m/board failures (power spiking in the compound where I stayed)

The only time this ever happened to me was fixed with a new motherboard

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Thanks to all, I've tried just about everything apart from Formatting the HDD, will try the HDD in another pc tonight hopefully.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Thanks all, I've tried everything mentioned apart from reformat etc. I'll try the HDD in another pc tonight hopefully. I'm leaning more towards mobo.

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Thanks all, I've tried everything mentioned apart from reformat etc. I'll try the HDD in another pc tonight hopefully. I'm leaning more towards mobo.

Mine started doing something similar last year. I had just got a new GFX card that needed a power supply and, as it was summer , I tried the cheap(ish) option of loads of fans and a beefier power supply.

That seemed to sort it, but then the same snag kicked off again a couple of months later. A poke around the mobo revealed a load of capacitors near the power supply connector had nice rounded tops which seems to be a good sign that they are shot.

I reckon that a new mobo is on the horizon, but don't take my word for it, I'm a heavy!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Mine started doing something similar last year. I had just got a new GFX card that needed a power supply and, as it was summer , I tried the cheap(ish) option of loads of fans and a beefier power supply.

That seemed to sort it, but then the same snag kicked off again a couple of months later. A poke around the mobo revealed a load of capacitors near the power supply connector had nice rounded tops which seems to be a good sign that they are shot.

I reckon that a new mobo is on the horizon, but don't take my word for it, I'm a heavy![/quote]

Me too but funny old thing 5 out of the 6 capacitors near the cpu are domed with what looks like a black spot (electrolyte?) in the middle.

Shugster

Warrant Officer

I reckon that a new mobo is on the horizon, but don't take my word for it, I'm a heavy![/quote]

Me too but funny old thing 5 out of the 6 capacitors near the cpu are domed with what looks like a black spot (electrolyte?) in the middle.

See if the Fairy bay or Radar bods can replace them for you.

Or buy your own caps and solder them yourself.

(Just beware if they're Electrolytic that you get the polarity correct, otherwise you'll hear a few popping noises at power up:PDT_Xtremez_27:

What have you got to lose?

Back