• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo file names

• Thread starter Thread starter PD TC
  • Start date Start date
P

PD TC

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help wit this annoying problem. Over the last couple of years, I have built up quite a collection of digital photos from various cameras.

The problem is that I have never come up with a structure for storing them. It is only in the last 6-12 months that I have started storing and naming by month (ish).

Is anyone aware of any software that can help me rename and all the photos I have. I know there is a lot of information stored/embedded within a photo file such as camera type, date etc.

What I want is a piece of software that will help take out this information and allow me to add structure to all the various photo files I have.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help wit this annoying problem. Over the last couple of years, I have built up quite a collection of digital photos from various cameras.

The problem is that I have never come up with a structure for storing them. It is only in the last 6-12 months that I have started storing and naming by month (ish).

Is anyone aware of any software that can help me rename and all the photos I have. I know there is a lot of information stored/embedded within a photo file such as camera type, date etc.

What I want is a piece of software that will help take out this information and allow me to add structure to all the various photo files I have.

I use Photoshop elements to catalogue my photos. I have over 10K which are nicely organised. When you use cataloguing software like this, the file name is irrelevant. if you can be bothered, you can place tags against each image to allow you to retrieve photos very quickly. You can also undertake quick touch ups, email (reduced size automatically) and lots of other features. There is a trial version that can be downloaded from adobe.

The best way to buy it is from ebay, where version 5 OEM is being dumped since everyone is buying v6.

You can also rename if you require, but like I said, once you have them catalogued, filenames are irrelevant. You can also have more than one catalogue which is handy when you have lots of pics, or perhaps hobby pics and fa,ily etc. Built in is an incremental backup facility which is essential for all of those valuable family pics.

Last edited:

Major Geek

Sergeant
I organise my photos into folders by year then month/subject i.e.

Folder 2007
Subfolder 2007-00 General
Subfolder 2007-01 Snow
Subfolder 2007-01 Birthday
Subfolder 2007-02 Holiday

Then within the folder I rename the individual photos to Birthday (1), Birthday (2) etc.

If you select a group of files, right click, select rename, enter Birthday (1).jpg all files will be renamed with the number incrementing automatically.

Another tip is to make a copy of a relevant photo within a folder and name it folder.jpg, this is then used to construct the thumbnail when you view contents of its master folder (see below).

A useful tool is Image Resizer a free Microsoft download from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Does exactly what it says on the tin and there are some other useful tools there as well.

Attachments

• example.JPG
    example.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back