• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pilot details

adam_c

LAC
alright guys, ill be frank.. i want to be a pilot in the military. The RAF preferably, as that is my main choice.

I was diagnosed with asthma when i was young although my doctor thinks it was falsely diagnosed. If by any chance i can get my GP to write down that i was falsely diagnosed, and there are no other problems... what are my chances at passing the medical..

Be honest?

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Hello Frank ;)

Honest answer is speak to the AFCO mate they have all the up to date policy and will give you the best answer. I wish you luck though :)

I went through something similar although I was applying for NCO aircrew years ago. Bearing in mind I'm now a fairy you can guess how I did trying to change those that matters mind.

I honestly think you've got no chance with the RAF, I hope I'm wrong though.

Have you posted on the army's and navy's forums? They might be more lenient.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sadly asthma is a big no-no for flying in the RAF. Even a hint of it on your med records will weigh heavily against you. Imagine at the moment we have Oxbridge quality candidates queueing up for the chance to fly all with perfect bills of health...the selectors can afford to be very very picky. Again med questions really need to be asked at the AFCO to ensure you get the most up to date and accurate answer.

S

SepticCalling

alright guys, ill be frank.. i want to be a pilot in the military. The RAF preferably, as that is my main choice.

I was diagnosed with asthma when i was young although my doctor thinks it was falsely diagnosed. If by any chance i can get my GP to write down that i was falsely diagnosed, and there are no other problems... what are my chances at passing the medical..

Be honest?

By-pass the RAF and go commercial..money is better plus you work the three G`s...... Gear Up, Gear down, Go home. By law you can only fly 900 hours a year so thats 17.6 hours per week or, two weeks on two weeks off

However, Try Pprune, they are far better placed to answer your question, CAA medics use JAR rules and I know a few commercial pilots who had Asthma and hay fever as children

Last edited: