• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Portal Web Sites

• Thread starter Thread starter monobrow
  • Start date Start date
M

monobrow

Ok, heres one for the more geeky of you out there....

Blue Bull Radio's web site has been running on a strict diet of HTML since it was created.

Whilst it looks ok, it's an absolute pain in the a$$ to sit and code/upload every single thing. Whilst I can do it easy enough, it is an absolute nause and because only I know the FTP details, means I get the job of updating it every now and then. (on top of what I do for the station)

Hoooo kay. So with that in mind, I'm looking to use some kind of dynamic site, but not being the MySql/php/.asp coder, I'm looking for a free and user friendly portal to use.

I have had my eyes on DotNetNuke and phpNuke for doing it, but I don't want to put in a shed load of work to find out it's pap.

I've heard of others aswell, mainly Xoops and e107 (other sites I visit) but if anyone out there admins those kinds of sites could comment on how easy they are to use/administrate it would be fantastic!

I have ready to use, php, a MySql database, and .asp (although that never worked right)

Many thanks in advance one and all!

Mono

***EDIT***

I might also need help in setting up phpMyAdmin, as the hosting support is as useful as a chocolate fireplace, and most .sql files won't upload using their built in version..... I've tried a couple now!!!!

Last edited:
M

mad_mo

Mono,

I may know somebody that might be able to help.

I'll PM you later.
:PDT_Xtremez_28:

M

mad_mo

Why not cheat and just create a Blue Bull MySpace page??

Not very professional is it, having a MySpace website!. I associate MySpace with a bunch of kids and fools who want to gloat about themselves!.

M

monobrow

Why not cheat and just create a Blue Bull MySpace page??

I could also just have a forum of some kind, I just want somewhere where we can post whats going on, what the presenters are up to, etc, etc in a presentable manner, thats branded (you can only do soooo much with myspace!!!!) and have a forum attached.

If you look at ours now. You can probably tell the CSS sheets were rather trial and error, and the HTML is (how should I say) untidy!

I can understand HTML fine enough, but when you keep getting emails telling you to put this on there, put that on there, and be the broadcast manager, and be daddy/husband, and do me day job. Those emails are easy to forget! So I want to get something I don't really have to be involved in to keep updated.

Hope thats a bit better explanation!

M

monobrow

/geek mode on

Right, spent a ferkin hour on to the hosts.....

Turns out we're using a windows server....

Can't use php because thats linux based (WTF!!! php pages load fine!)

Can't use MySql because thats linux based (eh??)

Can use ASP.net but not ASP.net 2.0 (.aspx files) as our hosting doesn't support it. Also, the database is MSSql.

Thank you very very much, narrowed down what I can use to next to f*ck all.

Thanks for all your help though, but terminating the account looks on the cards to sort this one out.

:PDT_Xtremez_32:

M

monobrow

Right, many headaches later.

Bosses don't want to bin out of this contract now, as we've not got long left on it, and by the sounds of it, we'll be looking elsewhere for our next hosts.

So, anyone know of a portal using ASP 1.0??

Didn't think so! GRRRRR

Thanks to all that have offered assistance though! Time to forget until we switch hosts.

Mono

Back