• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Postings and PPLs

• Thread starter Thread starter Delta Papa Golf
  • Start date Start date
D

Delta Papa Golf

Hi everyone

I've only sent off my application for AMM a couple of weeks ago so I'm pretty early on in the application process.
I was hoping someone could help me with a question I have on postings. One of the main reasons I'm applying is because I love travelling, would there be a particular squadron(s) that travels overseas more often? Would it make sense to work on transports rather than fast jets or vice-versa? I do realise you generally get sent where you're needed rather than where you want but any advice would be appreciated.
Also I was wondering whether mentioning I have a PPL in my interview would be a good or bad thing? I don't want to come off as cocky or implying I know everything already because I know the basics of how a PA28 works! But then it does show an keen interest in aviation, which I'm assuming would help.
Thanks for any advice you have :PDT_Xtremez_19:

DeltaPapaGolf

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
As an AMM you will more than likely end up on a Sqn - most Sqns will spend a fair amount of time abroad - in one guise or another - some more than others.

If you want to travel more than the average Joe then volunteer for more Dets!

Transport aircraft tend to have more varied ports of call for shorter duration (generally) but even fast jets do USA/Europe/Far East trips.

As for having a PPL - plenty of Techies do and most camps have flying clubs.

As long as you don't spout off about how much you already know about the theory of flight, again, you'll do ok.

Good Luck

D

Delta Papa Golf

Thanks for the info Billy. It's definately looking like the right career choice for getting to do a fair bit of travel!

Back