• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Power probes, yay or nay?

harris921

LAC
Just curious as to whether the RAF use power probes or are they frowned upon?

You do have to know how to use them as you can damage the component or even spike an ECU. They are a useful bit of kit though.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
To test the power of what exactly?

Laser, Kettle, Nuclear reactor?

Can you be a bit more specific old bean?

harris921

LAC
They are for testing components. On a car you could probe the wiper motor for example and if it starts working then you know the componet/motor is fine and the fault lies somewhere else(switch, wiring, relay, ect ect).

Some garages don't like you to use them and I was just interested to hear the RAF opinion on them really.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Are we talking about a multimeter per chance?

To test volts, amps, resistance etc?

If so... Of course they do, but they have to conform to certain standards for explosion safety, accuracy etc

harris921

LAC
No its a power probe, you hook it up to the battery and then give the component 12v or an earth depending on how it works. RAF dont use them by the sounds of things.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I think garages may not like them being used for continuity tests.

Some components out there are made to run on 2.5V or even less to reduce power consumption, so sticking a meter with a 9V supply up it might not be appreciated. Some meters do have a low voltage option however to reduce the risks.

Boring but true!
:PDT_Xtremez_26:

Edit: Having read your last post, the probe could shove 12V up something that might not like it.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No its a power probe, you hook it up to the battery and then give the component 12v or an earth depending on how it works. RAF dont use them by the sounds of things.

Okay, fair question.

Just as an indicator as to why this sort of thing isn't used, the general power supplies on an aircraft are 28 volts DC and three phase 115v AC at 400 Hz.

There are other supplies, but as I said, these are the general supplies.

TW

Last edited:
M

mumbles

I'm a heavy, me use hammer and GS, me hit, it fixed!! That must help.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
My trade is off aircraft and I have been known in the past to put power onto a component to see if it works and it is something I was taught to do by my RAF instructors. It can go wrong though if you get lazy, it should only be used if you are pretty certain you've narrowed a fault to that component and want to prove it yourself. If a sensor further down the line is stopping power to that component for a reason it can explode, which will sh1t you up like nothing else as it sprays plastic everywhere and the first thing your workmates do is laugh at you. I've heard.

You ain't a proper heavy.....you can type/talk...most just grunt.
Crack on..................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Off Topic He still grunts....there is a clue in his username. He is just one of the ejmacated higher uppers who knows how to mash the keyboard with his shovels for hands.Off Topic

If there were any GEF leckies around they would tell you that it is not unheard of to 'bench test' starter and wiper motors, but we...errr THEY just grab some wire off the c stores rack and make their own power probe :PDT_Xtremez_42:

sparks will fly

Corporal
I can confirm as a TG5 Lecky we just grab some wire from the KANBAN as C-Stores is so last year.
Or we will use a jump pack, but most of the time it will be just some cable attached to the battery.

Back