• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pressure runs

JoKing

LAC
Does anybody know how many pressure runs you can be made to do in 1 day and how much time between each run (the runs will last about 2 hours).
Is there an AP ref

Please help

Here at Saint Athan on the funbus, we do not allow anymore than 3 in 24 hrs but this always depends on what diff you are going to. If we do a max diff/Safety valve check run we try to avoid another that day, (to lean on the side of safety).

Have have asked the same question a few times but this seems to be a bit of a grey area. Apart from local orders, or self inposed ones, there does not seem to be anything laid down in any APs we have got.

If anyone can come up with something more definate then I would like to hear it as well.

As an aside, I went diving on hols sometime back, (to 33 metres). I did not fly home until 3 days later. On landing I could not clear my ears and was deaf in one for 3 weeks. I say this as if you are going to be pressurised at max diff for 2 hrs I most certainly would not fly/carry out another for at least 24 hrs.

P

POB

As I understand it, if you have been involved in a squeeze you can't fly for 24 hours. The GEs at Lyne certainly stick to that.

I agree with POB. I was a GE at Brize and that was the golden rule. (You have only one set of eardrums - and it bloody well hurts)!

MingMong

Warrant Officer
As I understand it, if you have been involved in a squeeze you can't fly for 24 hours. The GEs at Lyne certainly stick to that.

This seems to be thr ule caross the board for GE's as far as I know.
However, I don't know if there are any guidelines laid down for lineys.
I have heard 3 or 4 quoted as a figure, but don't know any reference to cover this figure.

A lot of it depends on the diff which is going to be operated at. I would not do any more than one at max diff in 24 hrs. However, it is not beyond the realms of possibility to do a whole days high level para where you are up and down to about 8 or 10 inches of diff 3 or 4 times. So that could cross over to pressure runs, WITH THE APPLICATION OF COMMON SENSE.

The Rigger AP says 12 hours between doing a squeeze and flying, 2 Gp ASO's state 24 hours. We always go with the greater margin of safety ie 24 hours after a max diff run.

The big consideration is definitely rate of climb/descent. And the big warning is never under ANY circumstances do any form of pressure running, without a current pressurisation medical.

Its a tough call but bear in mind, the pain of a ruptured ear drum is no joke and never mind permanent tinnitus or even a case of the bends.

N

Noodle

I was always told it was one in 24 hrs at max diff,could do more if not max dif and no flying for 24 hrs - pain in the bottom if on last night of shift and flying home in the morning!

However, if during the squeeze the problem occurred it was entirely possible to stop, rectify and re-do provided you were not at max diff.

You can always refuse to do a squeeze, did this in the desert, flight home was in 6 hours, plane needed squeezed, girly JEngO did not like me telling her where to shove it!

And make sure the guy doing outside man does not fall asleep, good job our fairies had some sense!

Last edited:
E

enginesuck

Its 3 in 24, with a break of at least 12 hours after that and no flying for 12 hours not 24. It is all layed down in the JAP.

Havin fun up there joking??? !!!!

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Slightly Off Topic
On a similar vein

There is a recommendation rule for scuba diving then going flying.

Covered it in human factors but I actually can't remember.

Theres loads of Regulations for SCUBA diving and flying, but the one that I guess Marie is refering to is a rule of thumb, where you do not fly for a MINIMUM of 24 hours following any diving, no matter how deep, however dive tables and computers should always be consulted if in any doubt.

atech?

LAC
its deffo 3 in 24 hrs as laid down in the JAP.
you also have to have a "normal chest x ray on file at the med centre"
the medical is the same one as for scuba diving.

personally i only do as many as i feel up too but no more than 3 in 24 hrs and i won't do them if i've got a cold (allways a good excuse)

Back