• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prior Qualifications

LukeH

LAC
Hey folks,

I am going to be applying in 6 months for RAF Police again due to failing my PJFT this time round. I currently work as a Security Officer for various Events/Conferences/Exhibitions etc.

I am self employed and as such, get tax relief on training courses etc. What I would like to do is get myself on some courses which will help me with both my current career (in the event I don't get into the RAF), and also that will help me in the long term going for and serving with the RAFP.

Due to my work pattern, travelling the country, social life etc, I can't attend night college or anything like that and have to attend either a solid course (a week long) or via Distance Learning which makes things slightly more difficult.

My question is, what sort of qualifications can I look at?

I have been looking at the Institute of Leadership and Management as I should be a Supervisor/Team Leader in a month or 2 with the firm I work form (sub contract to). But trying to find this via Distance Learning or a course where I don't have several other people is a little difficult unless doing 2 hours a week for X weeks.

Yes I know the RAF will provide qualification such as these via promotion... but I'm trying to set myself up incase I don't make it into the RAF.

Thanks in Advance.
Luke

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hey folks,

I am going to be applying in 6 months for RAF Police again due to failing my PJFT this time round. I currently work as a Security Officer for various Events/Conferences/Exhibitions etc.

I am self employed and as such, get tax relief on training courses etc. What I would like to do is get myself on some courses which will help me with both my current career (in the event I don't get into the RAF), and also that will help me in the long term going for and serving with the RAFP.

Due to my work pattern, travelling the country, social life etc, I can't attend night college or anything like that and have to attend either a solid course (a week long) or via Distance Learning which makes things slightly more difficult.

My question is, what sort of qualifications can I look at?

I have been looking at the Institute of Leadership and Management as I should be a Supervisor/Team Leader in a month or 2 with the firm I work form (sub contract to). But trying to find this via Distance Learning or a course where I don't have several other people is a little difficult unless doing 2 hours a week for X weeks.

Yes I know the RAF will provide qualification such as these via promotion... but I'm trying to set myself up incase I don't make it into the RAF.

Thanks in Advance.
Luke

Whilst those courses aren't necessary for entry into the RAFP as the only requirement is the GCSE minimum standard, having them won't do you any harm. However, as a recruiter, my advice to you is get qualified as best as you can for civilian employment as entry into the RAF isn't a given in today's climate. If you do get in, any quals you have over and above the minimum educational requirement is certainly s bonus and won't do you any harm.

Good luck.