• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Professionally qualified- do I still take the airman/ woman aptitude test?

As title says really. Just wandering, I can do my job to a good standard and academically I did very well getting my ODP qualification but I suck at these tests!!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yes you do I'm afraid, it's just one of those military things that wont be changed.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Very true. Even if your particular discipline is not mathematically biased, you are going to get a very good introduction to the menaing of "lowest common denominator"

Well just going to have to put the practice in and hope for the best. I passed before to get in as a medic so will just go for it. I have a good memory when it comes to my role and tasks just not these tests.

M

MQ-9 Reaper

is that even a specific trade in RAF? or does it just come under medic? where will your basic training be?

It is a trade in it's own right. I am a registered ODP with the Health Professions Council. My basic training will be at Halton like other airman and I am all ready trade trained so it will be on to Peterborough I think. It is a little known role and roots are closer to nursing than medic. We support surgeons and anaesthetists throughout a patients journey through theatres.

Stevienics do you mean I may get a bit of leeway?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It is a trade in it's own right. I am a registered ODP with the Health Professions Council. My basic training will be at Halton like other airman and I am all ready trade trained so it will be on to Peterborough I think. It is a little known role and roots are closer to nursing than medic. We support surgeons and anaesthetists throughout a patients journey through theatres.

'Leeway' as you put is officially denied but may be locally administered at a course commanders discretion...When I went through the ITC I was excused GSK as I had served 11 years and knew when to stand up and salute etc (and he knew I had building skills and wanted a sqn bbq area built so I was hardly sitting around reading comics!) however, Assume you will do the rest as everybody else and to be honest with you you need to do the same as everybody else...If you look for loopholes and easystreet opportunities you set yourself apart from your peers and the idea is that selection and training instill an ethos of team work and esprite de corp...Go the whole mile, share the feeling of accomplishment that the rest of your fellow trainees enjoy and walk tall in the knowledge that you are as good as the rest through endeavour and not because of prior knowledge and qualifications...

Beside...it makes you come across as a bit of a whinger otherwise.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Why don't you go to that shop in Little Britain which sells those 'Pirate Memory Games'. They might help.

I'm not looking for easy street but do understand it may of sounded like that, I just wandered if Stevienics meant there maybe no need to do the test due to doing it before. I know this is unlikely. I don't want any one to give me any leeway. I got in before by working my arse off and had a good four years with good reports from my superiors home and on tour. I got there on my own merit and am more than happy to do it again.

This whole thread is just questioning whether I would need to take the test. The rest of the test I am fine with, it is just the memory bit I struggle with slightly. I am practising and hopefully when the time comes I will be ok. It is just a worry.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Joking aside....don't worry! Worrying won't help!But, there are bound to be some memory puzzle books out there that you can use to just get your mind working.I'm sure you'll be fine and the fact that you're already qualified will aid your application no-end.Good luck and just chill out!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This is the recruitment forum not the fight club. This is the place to ask questions and the OP has answered all criticisms fairly and has relevent questions requiring answers.

G

gemarriott

I hadn't noticed this was the recruitment thread. On the old goat I never went beyond the blue button so every nerk was fair game.

Can't you get the recruitment forum away from the "What's new" button so us crusty old tw@ts don't read this garbage by accident?

While you're at it get the arcade back.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I hadn't noticed this was the recruitment thread. On the old goat I never went beyond the blue button so every nerk was fair game.

Can't you get the recruitment forum away from the "What's new" button so us crusty old tw@ts don't read this garbage by accident?

While you're at it get the arcade back.

Both on request!

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber

Dont you mean mop their brows and then mop the floor:pDT_Xtremez_42:

ODP's are part of the RAF TG 15 which covers RAF Medics, ODP's, Lab Techs and whilst you may be professionally qualified the apptitude tests are the same for everyone.

Following Basic Trg the there are a number of options P'Boro being just one of them. I think you'll upset most of the RAF ODP's if you call them nurses and I know most of them an being a nurse myself if I wanted to mop floors I would have been a janitor:pDT_Xtremez_30: Good luck and if you need any info let me know