• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promotion And Career Progression?

• Thread starter Thread starter d87
  • Start date Start date
D

d87

Hi I am currently considering joining the RAF and am really interested in joining as Personnel Support, but was wondering if someone would be kind enough to answer a few questions for me?

1. I initially join on the new recruit pay of around £13k, but what pay band do I move upto after I finish my trade training?

2. How long approximately does it take to be promoted to corporal etc, assuming you keep your head down and work hard? Just estimations.

3. Will the RAF help pay for me to study for new qualifications? For example I'd like to study for an accounting qualification.

I am not going into the RAF just for the money, it's just that I'd like to know these things before I join.

Cheers

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
After passing out of Trade Training you would be on Lower Level Band 1, which is currently 16,681.20 rising to level 9, which is currently 23,755.20.

In recent years, a minimum of 3 annual reports were needed before you were classed as competitive for promotion, however this has recently changed and there is no minimum. However, on average it takes around 5-6 years to be in the frame, although again there are exceptions to this, both shorter and longer!

Yes, the RAF will support you to study for additional qualifications. As accounting is within the sphere of TG17, then you would be supported even more as you would be studying for a trade-related qualification.

Good Luck!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
After passing out of Trade Training you would be on Lower Level Band 1, which is currently 16,681.20 rising to level 9, which is currently 23,755.20.

In recent years, a minimum of 3 annual reports were needed before you were classed as competitive for promotion, however this has recently changed and there is no minimum. However, on average it takes around 5-6 years to be in the frame, although again there are exceptions to this, both shorter and longer!

Yes, the RAF will support you to study for additional qualifications. As accounting is within the sphere of TG17, then you would be supported even more as you would be studying for a trade-related qualification.

Good Luck!

I thought this was changing for the trades with Chf Tech only ?

D

d87

Thanks for the reply Mutty,am I right in thinking you go up a pay band each year?

That's great news about the qualification,as I really want to study for an accounting qualification-preferably CIMA.

Does anyone know by any chance if this trade is closed at the moment,as I have read that most ground trades are closed at the moment?

Cheers

K

Krusty_Crab

...am I right in thinking you go up a pay band each year?

No you go up a LEVEL each year within your Pay Band Range.

You can find all the details here:
http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm75/7516/7516.pdf

Airmen pay is on Page 45 of the printed document (Page 57 of the electronic version)

The Lower Pay Band Range for AC/SAC is Level 1 £16681 to Level 9 £23755
The Higher Pay Band Range for AC/SAC is Level 1 £16681 to Level 9 £28372

PS for info

Ground Trades:
Cpl tops out at £29255 (Lower) and £32,532 (Higher)
Sgt tops out at £33443 (Lower) and £36205 (Higher)
Flt Sgt tops out at £38851 (Lower) and £42404(Higher)
WO tops out at £43255 (Lower) and £45836(Higher)

Aircrew:
WSOp top out at at £50823(Sgt), £55468(FS) or £60105(Master Aircrew)

Last edited:

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
No - you go up 1 increment within your payband each year until you reach the maximum or get promoted. In addition you will get the annual pay rise. Certain qualifications will allow you to jump up 2 increments in 1 year.

D

d87

Cheers for all the replies, I worded my reply wrong and did mean a pay level and not a pay band.

Now I need to find out if the trade is still open for recruitment,as I really want to be in by the end of the year.

Can I also just ask, is the trade an even mixture of men and women or is there quite a lot more or one gender?

Cheers for the replies so far

Sammy

SAC
There are more females in the Pers Spt trade, however, the higher up the ranks you get, (Flight Sergeant and above) it becomes more male dominated.

I dont think the trade is closed. It had better not be because we are absolutely desperate for people in this trade. We are only 60 odd % manned at SAC level so get ready for some hard work!

Last edited:
S

stujones20

Unfortunately it is closed, flew through my AST on friday only to get told it's shut along with pretty much every other trade.

Should all be opening up around September time, so i guess everyone who's applying has got a bit of a wait, and you've got your work cut out for a few months Sammy :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
The Pers Spt trade is definately open, get yourself down the AFCO soon.

Not so, my friend. The trade closed to recruiting last week, albeit for a short while. If you are seeking a career in the trade, you can still be processed up to AST. After that, you will be kept warm until the trade opens.

D

d87

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go my local AFCO next week and get my AST booked. I did actually do the AST and my first interview last year but pulled out of my appliction at the medical stage as I wanted to complete another year in my current career. Hopefully I'l get a date in September.

Cheers

Back