• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promotions

• Thread starter Thread starter Old Goats
  • Start date Start date
O

Old Goats

As time is drawing near it would now be the time for all you lazy b*stards expecting promotion to be doing your little efforts to achieve a years assessments in the space of one week. I hope all those that dont get it deserve it!!!, remember a Cpl is for life not just for christmas!!

Old Goats said:
Remember, a Cpl is for life not just for christmas!!

It certainly was in the mid-late-end-80s! The place was crawling with us then, all revved up with nowhere to go. I met sh!t-loads of techie Cpls on my resettlement courses - all of us joined up at the same time; all leaving at the same time for the same reason. Most of us had ticks in the right boxes, but were going nowhere. They must have been able to predict that, surely?

T

Turbo Angryman

I seem to remember

I seem to remember

Old Goats said:
As time is drawing near it would now be the time for all you lazy b*stards expecting promotion to be doing your little efforts to achieve a years assessments in the space of one week. I hope all those that dont get it deserve it!!!, remember a Cpl is for life not just for christmas!!
Well,well,well it seems that you have got a memory problem my friend because I can remember a certain Cpl who worked on a certain team at Lyneham doing exaxtly that to get his third, and you now what, you did get it didn't you.
People in glass houses my friend!!!!!!!!!!
And before you start ranting I dont care how much redundancy money you got so feck off!!
Turbo Angryman
Angryness Level 1/10

N

novembercharlie

Harry_R_Jumpjet said:
It certainly was in the mid-late-end-80s! The place was crawling with us then, all revved up with nowhere to go. I met sh!t-loads of techie Cpls on my resettlement courses - all of us joined up at the same time; all leaving at the same time for the same reason. Most of us had ticks in the right boxes, but were going nowhere. They must have been able to predict that, surely?

The only numbers that ever counted in the promotion stakes were your Golf handicap and how many points you let your boss win by.

"You dont know who this is? Then **** off you old turkey" CLICK.....buzzzzzz

skevans said:
Probably not, after all the cold war was still going on at the time.

I'm talking joining up in 1978 and demob in 1990. The Cold War had been going for a day or two before then. At least long enough to get a feel for manpower requirements for the immediate future?

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Harry_R_Jumpjet said:
I'm talking joining up in 1978 and demob in 1990. The Cold War had been going for a day or two before then. At least long enough to get a feel for manpower requirements for the immediate future?

I agree. My intention was to point out that the cold war was coming to an end, lots of moves were afoot to reduce the forces (although not to the scale we are at now). Maybe the projected requirements for manpower had significantly reduced during your promotion and discharge.

It could be argued that the Cold War was still 'at its height' in 1978. They still took on shedloads of Driect Entrants, pushed us out as JTs (excellent rank!) saying that keep our noses clean and we'd be eligible for tapes in three years. That meant shedloads of Cpls three years down the line (ie early eighties in my case). Plus those who had come through the mechanic route.

Then what? Nothing, that's what. Except dead man's shoes. So we all left at the end of our engagement. It doesn't seem to be rocket science for the grown-ups to have predicted this. I don't profess to know what the right answer would have been, but the way it worked out was not ideal.

And all this happened long before Regan told Gorbachev to "Tear down that Wall" and the Cold War wound down.

Back