• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Q annotations

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Can anyone clear up the question of Q annotations and how long they are valid for if not actually using that qualification. I have heard that if you have not worked on a particular piece of equipment for 2 years then the Q lapses. For instance, I have Q-AT-3E, but haven't worked on F3s since last October. As I am currently employed out of trade boundaries, I am not likely to see another F3 again, so does that mean after Oct 08, I will have to attend another F3 Q course if I want to work on that A/C. What if I did something as change a battery? Would that keep me current? Does this include other Q's such as 2nd line off A/C Q's and PTT etc?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see the back of them, but I'm wondering about what jobs I'm in the frame for when I get to the top of the OOA list (which shouldn't be too long)

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was told recelnty by a drafter type person "your Q lasts for 5 years but they wouldn't look to send you OOA on your Q, if you have been off type for over 2 years"

T

the_boy_wizard

Can anyone clear up the question of Q annotations and how long they are valid for if not actually using that qualification. I have heard that if you have not worked on a particular piece of equipment for 2 years then the Q lapses. For instance, I have Q-AT-3E, but haven't worked on F3s since last October. As I am currently employed out of trade boundaries, I am not likely to see another F3 again, so does that mean after Oct 08, I will have to attend another F3 Q course if I want to work on that A/C. What if I did something as change a battery? Would that keep me current? Does this include other Q's such as 2nd line off A/C Q's and PTT etc?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see the back of them, but I'm wondering about what jobs I'm in the frame for when I get to the top of the OOA list (which shouldn't be too long)

I think they last 3 or 4 years after you leave the a/c type. Dont quote me on that though. The best people to ask would be the guys at TMS, Marham.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
FALKLANDS, FALKLANDS and FALKLANDS....

Aircraft Q's stay until you or the aeroplane leave the service!!!:PDT_Xtremez_31: :PDT_Xtremez_31:

But a lad in the next office (whom you know!!) has to attend another Harrier and Tornado Q course as he is posted to 41 Sqn and hasn't worked on either for a few years, so how does a Q stay with you? I also have a PTT Q but haven't only had it for PTT co-ordinator down the Falklands - is this the same as A/C Q's?

PS the Falklands list is full up with applicants who don't want to shot at, isn't it?

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Have a look on JPA, if your Eng Co-Ord has done their job properly, all the Qs should be registered against your profile, and expiry dates.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Have a look on JPA, if your Eng Co-Ord has done their job properly, all the Qs should be registered against your profile, and expiry dates.

Yeh, they are all there, with no expiry dates, but I'm just wondering why my mate has to do the courses again because he hasn't worked on them for a few years?

Prudhoe

LAC
Some Q’s expire, some don’t. Even if the particular Q does expire that information might not show on your record simply because someone didn’t type it in. Try digging out your old 4820 or asking the Q course provider for further info.

P

plummasmate

have a look on jpa, my tonka q runs out 5 years from start date, most of the others dont (mhe, rt etc)

Trenchard

LAC
Q annotations should have a 'life' set when they are raised and registered. Some are from the award date, some are a stated period of time after employment on that equipment / jet / gizmo or whatever.

Once on your record the drafters will simply use it if they want to, if you are too long out of the employment you got the Q for they will simply either (a) ignore it and say 'you have the training', or (b) send you on the course again, and again, and again .......
:PDT_Xtremez_42:

A

Albert Park

There's a TQA database on the Halton intranet. Don't have the exact whereabouts but it's amongst the training links.

From my recollection each TQA listed has all the criteria including any expiry, if relevant.

I think it's X-annotations where the 'clock is ticking'.

Trenchard

LAC
Halton Intranet

Halton Intranet

Unfortunately the server has been 'rebuilt', some functionality is yet to be restored .... the TQA database is among those in Will Robinson's spaceship - lost in space.

T

Tigger

What about Q courses done with civilian companies ? I did my Merlin Q at Westlands, anyone know how long its valid ?

Back