• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quals and Experience

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As an update to the site and all who view her...

With the qualifications and training you get today from Tossford and Q courses just how prepared and employable do they make you to the outside world?

Do you still need to go back to college or does your past experience stand you in good stead? Should you choose to go licenced do you get some prior learning/experience credits given to you?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Depends. 3 SACs of mine PVR'd with nothing but thier basic cosford quals and a nebosh done on resettlement and are now in 45k posts at JLR.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As an update to the site and all who view her...

With the qualifications and training you get today from Tossford and Q courses just how prepared and employable do they make you to the outside world?

Do you still need to go back to college or does your past experience stand you in good stead? Should you choose to go licenced do you get some prior learning/experience credits given to you?

I did a 1204 (SACT) course and associated AMA, NVQ 3 and BTEC ONC and I believe the training and quals I received were:

a) second to none - I've never had that quality of training anywhere else, probably never will
b) the stepping stone to a very successful career in engineering consultancy, although I have had to go to University, the Apprenticeship I did was a very solid bedrock. I could easily earn 40-50k fitting (In London) with just my apprenticeship but the shifts would be crap (and I like my nice warm office!)

This of course, is not aircraft, but railway, but the fact I've done a proper 3 year apprenticeship makes me stand out amongst my peers.

I'm a huge supporter of vocational training for engineers and technicians, University just doesn't teach you the same skills.

briggfairy

Sergeant
I did a 1204 (SACT) course and associated AMA, NVQ 3 and BTEC ONC and I believe the training and quals I received were:

a) second to none - I've never had that quality of training anywhere else, probably never will
b) the stepping stone to a very successful career in engineering consultancy, although I have had to go to University, the Apprenticeship I did was a very solid bedrock. I could easily earn 40-50k fitting (In London) with just my apprenticeship but the shifts would be crap (and I like my nice warm office!)

This of course, is not aircraft, but railway, but the fact I've done a proper 3 year apprenticeship makes me stand out amongst my peers.

I'm a huge supporter of vocational training for engineers and technicians, University just doesn't teach you the same skills.

I'd back this up I did a 1205 course and on leaving I only really did some electrical regs courses and had a choice of jobs to pick from when the time come, one thing my current employers rate is the fact that I learned my skills the old way whilst industry as a whole stopped doing apprenticeships.

I am also going through Uni part time and the quals gained whilst in allowed me to walk straight onto the course unconditionally without even the need for an interview, in fact some of the course seems quite simple in comparison to some of the training whilst in.

"I'm a huge supporter of vocational training for engineers and technicians, University just doesn't teach you the same skills"

As per the above. I cannot agree more. being the holder of a degree, whilst nice in itself (I actually found it more an exercise in tenacity!) having some solid vocational training behind you really does make the difference.

Back