• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Query/advice regarding mental health past and application

• Thread starter Thread starter Bettylu
  • Start date Start date
B

Bettylu

Hi there, I've been lurking around the forum for a while, reading various posts here and there. Some background on me: 24 year old engineering graduate who currently works in IT but with a long standing interest in the forces and various work with RBL and other organisations. I have decided that I would very much like to join the RAF and feel I could absolutely excel at the career I'm after. However I was gut wrenchingly upset at the thought of being turned down due to medical check. A few years ago whilst at uni I had huge amounts of personal problems in a short space of time and was put on ADs after struggling with self harm incident. I came through the year well and have never gone back to that kind of behaviour despite equally stressful/upsetting periods in my life. I have spoken to my GP and they are more than satisfied that I do not have any underlying mental health issues and that I am exceptionally fit and all the rest. I have spoken to my local AFCO who has said that obviously these things are decided on a 'case by case' basis but the GENERAL rule is if you have been free of symptoms for 4 years then usually it's not an issue. I am posting here really just to see if anyone has an personal experience with this kind of thing and, if it is the end of the line for me. I fully understand why the rules and regs regarding mental health exist, I just wonder if there is anyway to make up for past mistakes of this nature.

Any advice either way would be so helpful, I have read other posts regarding it but haven't really found anything other than conflicting information.

Thanks in advance,
Betty

wench02

SAC
I would suggest you get a letter from your doc saying you are ok, and if he thinks it will impact you in the future or not.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The only people who could really advise you are the AFCO staff and if you progressed firther the medical board who would no doubt discuss you.

What I will say is that you would be surprised at the variety of people's issues before joining that you come across in your time in...

Getting a letter from your doctor stating you are totally clear of all effects of your time on AD's would be a start but in the end you either dip your toe in the water and apply or spend the rest of your natural wondering what could have been. Perhaps formulate a plan B in case the RAF say no so at least all your eggs aren't in one basket? You sound like you have some good skills so broaden your horizon to see what other careers could offer you a similar lifestyle e.g. challenges, travel, ill-fitting skirts etc. etc.

And good luck if you do try...let us know how you get on.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Dammit Vim I was hoping you were going to chime in with the "one more mad WRAF wouldn't hurt" :D (no offence intended to OP)
On a serious note what he said, if you don't try you'll never know.

Back