• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Charmian
  • Start date Start date
C

Charmian

Hi, I have just a quick question, sorry if it's in the wrong place...

Are there many female Aircraft Technicians, Avionics or Mechanics?

Thanks

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If I was to guess I would says its between 4-8%, I am sure you could drag the stats of DASA somehow.

M

Mrs MMJ

Hello, yes there are a few Av tech females in the RAF, I know quite a few and they're all my age (which is around 24) I'm in the bay at RAF Marham and i've worked with a few lasses just in my bay. At the minute there are only 4/5 lasses work in the bays at Marham, but many have come and gone.
Hope this helps... Any other questions just ask and i'll try and answer them.

Mrs MMJ

S

shoutingwind

can you still apply to be a fairy? thought everyone had to join as an AMM?

the ratio in our sqn is about 50:1 so there are plenty of girls around

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
They join as FLEM......sorry AMM then do 2years I think, then they can stream to trade but obviousely Fairy/Lecky or Sooty/Rigger of course Armourers stay special with our own Gods Trade

I thought the AMM's either went Heavy (Airframe / Propulsion) or Light (Avionic). Electricians are no more?

As Shouting Wind said, there's a few here in the techie trades. Though they are in the minority!

And AMM waiting times for their return to Cosford are falling (rumoured 12 months now!)

squipper

Corporal
AMM's are streamed as they proceed through the AFCO to either Mech or Av trades. They then move to the West Mids to complete the generic AMM course and then on to their first unit. They up to a max of 4 years to return on their FT course, as previously stated their stao on their first tour in now 12-18 months. They can elect to swap from one trade to another at any time BEFORE they are nominated a place on their FT course..then thats it for them.

As for the Arm trade, it difficult enough for them to learn one trade let alone be "Multi-Skilled"

(Tin hat on ready for incoming!!! :-))

Back