• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF application process

• Thread starter Thread starter keegs
  • Start date Start date
K

keegs

Hi all,

I came across this site by accident whilst doing some more research on the RAF. I've recently been to the AFCO. I am hoping to enter as a Regiment Officer. I informed the Careers Officer that I had a drink driving conviction. I was caught the morning after the night before, and failed the roadside breath test (42mg). I know it was stupid, however I didn't realise I was over the limit. The careers officer informed me that I would not be allowed to apply until my conviction has been ‘spent’. Once my conviction is ‘spent’, do I have to declare it during the application process? Also, do the RAF carry out CRB checks?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I'll learn from this site throughout my application process.

Cheers

Leckie1

LAC
Hi all,

I came across this site by accident whilst doing some more research on the RAF. I've recently been to the AFCO. I am hoping to enter as a Regiment Officer. I informed the Careers Officer that I had a drink driving conviction. I was caught the morning after the night before, and failed the roadside breath test (42mg). I know it was stupid, however I didn't realise I was over the limit. The careers officer informed me that I would not be allowed to apply until my conviction has been ‘spent’. Once my conviction is ‘spent’, do I have to declare it during the application process? Also, do the RAF carry out CRB checks?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I'll learn from this site throughout my application process.

Cheers

Hi. Not sure what else anyone on here can tell you, that the Careers Officers didn't tell you. But I will answer your questions.

Firstly, you did the right thing by declaring your conviction, failure to do so, would have resulted in a permanent bar from Service due to integrity issues.

The Careers Officer is right that you will not be eligible to apply again, until your conviction is spent. You can easily look this up for yourself, how long it takes a conviction to be spent, at a variety of official websites. (gov/courts/police etc).

Once your conviction is "spent", you do not have to declare it to the Careers staff unless you are applying for a "Conviction Free" trade/branch such as Police. There are other "Conviction Free" jobs but Regiment Officer is NOT one of them.

A Regiment Officer is NOT required to be CRB checked.

I hope this helps.

On the plus side, Regiment Officer age was increased to 37 (off the top of my head), so you should still be able to be eligible once your conviction is spent. (Assuming you are under 30 now).

R

Reformed Scribbly

Bang on Leckie1,

You should have been given a timescale as to when you will become eligible. Take that time to make yourself competitive by plenty of fitness trg, take on extra responsibilities, get more involved with team activities and learn as much as you can about the service.

Good luck for the future.

Back