• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF ATC questions

• Thread starter Thread starter lord1
  • Start date Start date
L

lord1

Hi, I have just joined this so sorry if this is in the wrong place. Not used to it at the minute. But i had a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help me with these. i applied for pilot in december and passed the interview but when it got to OASC i did not pass the aptitude for pilot but passed everything else, typical. So then i applied for civilian ATC but didnt pass, do not know why as their policy is not to give feedback, even though i rang and asked if it was possible to get any as I asked if it was worth applying again next year but didnt get a call back. So was thinking of applying for RAF ATC now. But was wondering what happens if you dont pass the training, heard they can just put you onto some other job for the length of service you sign up for, and also what happens if you join thinking you will absolutley love it and then end up not liking it so much, can you leave or are you stuck for the length of service.
Also i have looked at ATC on the website and whats the difference between SNCO and just officer, as it says SNCO earns more then officer.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sorry pal but these questions go in the recruitment forum...We have some pukka-gen recruiters wander these hallways and the mainstream membership chip in as well so hopefully you'll find some answers...Take a look around...There is info all over the place in this forum!

Last edited:
K

Krusty_Crab

But was wondering what happens if you dont pass the training, heard they can just put you onto some other job for the length of service you sign up for,
Not automatic..if you fail your trade training you can apply to re-muster but only if you have the 'scores' and only if there are vacancies, otherwise it's discharge

and also what happens if you join thinking you will absolutley love it and then end up not liking it so much, can you leave or are you stuck for the length of service.
You can voluntarily withdraw, if you have not finished your training then you are generally discharged immediately, if you've completed training then it may take up to a year before you can get out. Remember you've been recruited as part of a team and you will be filling a place that is essential. The fact that you don't like it is unfortunate but if you leave straight away then you'll be letting down a whole bunch of people so you'll be expected to stay until you can be replaced

Also i have looked at ATC on the website and whats the difference between SNCO and just officer, as it says SNCO earns more then officer.
Intially you'll both be controllers and you'll do the same job however for your next jobs the officer will do a more managerial role whist the NCO will continue to be a controller. Although the officer may not earn as much to start with they will have more opportunity for higher promotion and greater pay/pension in the future.

Back