• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF over-subscribed?

• Thread starter Thread starter rickyg.01427
  • Start date Start date
R

rickyg.01427

I have been checking out RAF online but the only trades I am interested in seem to be over-subscribed. Does this mean I should look at other armed forces?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I have been checking out RAF online but the only trades I am interested in seem to be over-subscribed. Does this mean I should look at other armed forces?

I don't know. Should you? That's entirely up to you mate. You're the only one who can answer that question. It all depends what you want out of a service career, what you want to do , etc. If the RAF is for you, then my advice is to wait until the trade you want re-opens and take it from there. Otherwise, you may want to try the other services. It's all up to you. no-one can help you make that decision.

R

rickyg.01427

I don't know. Should you? That's entirely up to you mate. You're the only one who can answer that question. It all depends what you want out of a service career, what you want to do , etc. If the RAF is for you, then my advice is to wait until the trade you want re-opens and take it from there. Otherwise, you may want to try the other services. It's all up to you. no-one can help you make that decision.

I don't want to join another armed force but if the RAF is shutting out new recruits then it seems that I won't have a choice. I guess I should go down to careers office and see what they have to say on the matter. If I hear the same from them that it has too many applications then I will wait.

Cheers anyways :)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Give them a ring

Give them a ring

If you're relatively close then pop into your local AFCO for a chat (you might want to phone first to make sure someone is available). Or you could ring the recruitment line which I think is 0845 605 5555.

A lot of jobs are full at the moment but next years jobs should be starting to be released in the not too far distant future. I think the Army and the Navy have also been maxed out with applicants this year so if it's something you really want it'll be worth waiting for.

Good Luck

R

rickyg.01427

In January I was planning on applying to join as a firefighter with Aicraft Technician as a back up. Hopefully by that time jobs will be available?
If by January still no luck then I will be trying Navy then Army.

In January I was planning on applying to join as a firefighter with Aicraft Technician as a back up. Hopefully by that time jobs will be available?
If by January still no luck then I will be trying Navy then Army.

FFtr will be closed until Oct 10 (not set in stone) but thats what we have been told. AMM could well open up Dec/Jan time but I can only see a ltd amount of trg places available. The jobs are still there its just we can't train them quick enough.

To the first poster I would say this, all 3 services are not recruiting fully. the Navy will take you all the way and then put you on a 2 year waiting list (for certain jobs) we will tell you the job is closed until such date. It is really up to you what you want to do. I would persevere with the forces just be patient. I believe even the Army are slowing down even in infantry jobs so just be patient and get the trade you want. Don't forget this is not just a job its a life changing career. If you really want it the wait will be worth it.

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Good things come to those who wait.

Way back when, I had to wait 18 months for the specific trade that I wanted. Here I am 18 years later and glad that I did. If I hadn't I would have ended up settling for something that I'm sure wouldn't have been as enjoyable a career.

Use the waiting time well, work on Phys, learn what you can about the RAF, get some life experiences under your belt if you can. Get involved with cadets, if too old to do that as a cadet then as an adult instructor, anything that'll give you a sneek peek at the Service.

Why settle for second best? Get the career that you WANT.

Thats my advice for what it's worth. Best of luck whatever you do.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
If you want to be a firefighter, yet don't want to join any other service why don't you apply around the country to be a local authority firefighter?

R

Reformed Scribbly

You can at least apply for retained service with the lcoal authority, which is certainly the only route available for any interested in our local civvie fire brigades.

R

rickyg.01427

I have been to my local fire station for a meeting about a career in the fire service. What he told me was that I have to get a full time job and move closer to the fire station then apply for retained. He also suggested that I apply around the country for wholetime positions although chances of getting in for wholetime is really hard like at least 1000 applications for like 1 job.

I am now just going to get my driving license then apply for RAF firefighter. My next question is should I apply now without a driving license or wait till I have my driving license.

R

rickyg.01427

Right I have spoken to my Uncle who was an raf fireifghter and he told me he did not have driving license when he applied. He joined a long time ago but I was wondering if the RAF are still lenient on this matter?

R

Reformed Scribbly

In this day and age, we can afford to be very choosy. So do everything you can to make yourself a attractive proposition for the RAF.

Also we are not "shutting out new recruits". As with industry, if the jobs aren't there, we won't recruit. Simple.

Back