• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Photographer

S

Stuart

I'm going to apply when the trade apparently opens in December (was told this when I rang the Leeds AFCO - can anyone confirm?), but am concerned because I just read here that it's a 'dying trade', and along with these defence cuts is it a bit of a risk to consider quitting my job to be trained on something I could be axed from? Or, like I suppose it is with most military roles, is it a case of there always being a need to train a new batch of personnel to make up for the ones who leave or retire?

Does anyone know any serving photographers who might be able to comment a bit more on what they make of the job? The idea of being in control of your own tasks (i.e. it's you who decides how to take a photo), and the variety of people and places to visit is what mainly draws me to it, plus the level of creativity for the more interesting PR style shoots etc.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
M

Mickwreay

Hi mate,

I'm not in the trade, have a look at posts by "Arkady" on a web site called TalkPhotography.co.uk

He's an army Photog & I'm sure he can offer some advice, he has offered advice to people in the past.

S

stealemar

Damn, I hope it isnt, as I just realized that apart from Gunner I would also liek to be a photographer