• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF pilot eyesight?

G

gbotley

Hello,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this being my first post and all that but, if it's wrong, mods please move.

I have the following eyesight.

L: Plano
R: -0.25

Would these be suitable requirements to join as an RAF pilot, I've been told by my optician that -0.25 is no issue for the RAF as far as he could see, he classed it as normal vision.

Also, I had a colour vision test where I was classed as level 2.

I found a chart for 2007 which was happy with long sightedness to +1.75 but not in any negatives.. I'm concerned as it's my life long dream and to fall at the first hurdle would be devastating to me.

Advice from all welcome, but anyone who has been through OASC/AFCO with a similar issue would be welcomed more.

Thanks Guys,
George.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We tend to hold off on handing out advice on med issues as if we are wrong and you don't go for it how would we feel?

A quick call to the AFCO where they hold the latest limits will answer all your worries...I hope you have some good news!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
As Vim has alluded to, only a qualified medical professional can make any kind of judgement as to medical standards for entry into the RAF. When you go to OASC for selection, you will go through a strict medical that will test your eyesight and they will decide whether you meet the eyesight requirement. I will tell you now the eyesight parameters for Pilot are VERY tight.

JPJ83

SAC
The eyesight standards are tight, but have been relaxed slightly in the past few years to bring them into line with tri-service counterparts.

Worth a call to your local AFCO. They will be able to confirm the current medical standard.