• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Regiment or marines

L

labayu

I'm aware that if you don't have the required A-Level grades but then go on to get a degree that the degree supersedes the A-Level required grades in the Army but that it doesn't in the Royal Navy for Officer roles.

Which position does the RAF hold?

Eg if I don't hold 2 ALevels A-C but do have a 2:2 Hons degree is that acceptable in the RAF?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Probably

Probably

Have a look here

Doesn't mention a full degree, but it only takes 120 points from the OU or a Foundation Degree to meet the requirement so I'm guessing your Desmond will do.

Do remember the English language and Maths Grade C at GCSE are only replaceable with higher qualifications in those specific subjects so if you have a Masters in English Literature but nothing higher than a D at GCSE inEnglish Language you have blown it!

T

Tor

I was in the careers office today and was told that you need English and Maths at C or above and that it doesn't matter if you have a degree you need GCSE/Standard Grade at C and above.

Hope that helps

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No quite true

No quite true

I was in the careers office today and was told that you need English and Maths at C or above and that it doesn't matter if you have a degree you need GCSE/Standard Grade at C and above.

Hope that helps

Not quite true, there are circumstances where higher quals can be used to off set these requirements.

R

Reformed Scribbly

Generally as long as you have the requisite GCSEs - English Lang & Maths at C or above, soon to increase potentially, and 3 others c or above, then a degree will obviate the need for evidence of A-Levels, your AFCO will be able to confirm with OASC.

beowulf

Sergeant
I've read through this thread and although it is well over a year old now I'm going to post anyway.

I am currently facing the same dilemma. I think I would like to be a Regiment Officer but I don't know if I could look over the fence and see planes and helicopters taking off and getting all the glory. At least the marines are at the top of their game, compared to the Regiment who are there to support the aircraft and air operations.

In no way do I want to slag the Reg off, this is just how I feel and I know they do a very valuable and important job.

This might sound like a daft question... but how do you know you've got what it takes to become a Rock / Marine?

They will tell you. They both have selection courses, if you go on both and get a yes from both then you are a very lucky boy and have a hard decision to make.

Regular gunners are now not far off the sacred 30-week program that the Marines are doing. Recent ops has changed the way the Army and RM look on the Regt. What they are doing OOA is securing the airbridge. Without getting into a p!ssing contest the easiest thing to do is to ask any para/Marine to name a single port in Afghanistan. Simple bottom line is that this is a war that starts and ends with a plane ride. And the Regt. securing this airbridge is taking a lot of strain off the battlegroups out and about doing the fighting.

Regiment came into being because the Army could not defend airfields, fair play to them that is not their job. But just because they defend the airfields does not mean they are less soldier-like. I have had mates who have come back with stories of being in contact every day they went on patrol. By dominating the ground round the airfield the Regt allow the teeth arms in to do the war fighting. That takes real soldiering and proper fighting.

Make no mistake - the Royal Marines like to say "first in last out" but without a coastline the last British boot on the ground in Bastion will be a Regiment Gunner climbing into his ride home when the job is done.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Make no mistake - the Royal Marines like to say "first in last out" but without a coastline the last British boot on the ground in Bastion will be a Regiment Gunner climbing into his ride home when the job is done.

Or a RAF Photog taking a pic of it.....or a liney checking the ride home is ok to fly......or a loadie ...............or an armourer prepping the place to blow....or..........aahh you get the picture.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

beowulf

Sergeant
Or a RAF Photog taking a pic of it.....or a liney checking the ride home is ok to fly......or a loadie ...............or an armourer prepping the place to blow....or..........aahh you get the picture.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

The only one I accept as a valid one left will be the shutterbug. They seem to get everywhere.

macman

LAC
Yeah I've been through it, but there might be others who can help, or people who haven't seen that thread. Or even non-infantry roles who wouldn't normally read that thread but might be able to offer some insight on how I can make my decision.

W

Welshie

No mate, you would need either A-Levels or equivalent.. e.g. if it's GCSE's, an equivalent would be a GNVQ. but some roles you NEED GCSE English!!!!

I'm not sure about A-levels, the equivalent to that would be something like a Foundation Degree in University, but it depends on the roles you're going for...

The RAF is different than the NAVY and Army, they have more requirements mate

I was also looking at the marines, the training and fitness is much much much harder!!!! I think you'd have to do 1.5 or 2 miles in 8 mins!!

good luck, hope you choose the one that best fits your profile

Last edited: