• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAFMSA as an LAC

actechy14

LAC
Hi all,

I've been looking into starting motorcycle racing through the RAF, but after multiple phonecalls and meetings with representatives, pe'd, mt, comp.secretary, and wobbly, its becoming more and more apparent that they won't actually fund you for this kind of sport, but reimburse you a specific amount only calculated and divided out by how many people are already doing the sport on camp.

Anyone heard of any LAC's or even SAC'S managing to get the funding to start this type of higher expenses type sport?

Cheers.

Gilbert

LAC
What you have been told is correct, you have to keep all your receipts and invoices through out the year and give them to your PED Flight at the end of the year, these are forwarded to the RAF MSA.

After every claim has been submitted the RAF MSA then reimburse you a certain percentage, dependant on what class you race in.

(I'm an SAC(T) running my own 2 stroke kart racing in the RAF/Interservice Karting championships, despite it being the biggest group of the RAFMSA we only get the smallest percentage claim.)

There is no start up fund you can claim from as I'm aware, its all self funded. The RAF aren't just going to pay for you to get a motorbike/spares/equipment and go racing.

The one grant I am aware of is a sports excellency grant which you can claim for if you already take part in your given sport and successfully move up to the next level.

Ex Tg3

SAC
I'm afraid the info given above by Gilbert isn't 100% correct and accurate.

1) You need to be a member of the RAFMSA (£10 annual membership)

2) Once a paid up member you can then submit a list of events you'd like to compete in throughout the year via your discipline Competition Secretary to have these considered for Duty Status (arguably the most important part, JSP765)

3) You submit event reports to the Comp Sec's throughout the season

4) At the end of the season there may be some reimbursement of personal costs, the Comp Sec's co-ordinate this for their area, overseen by the treasurer.

The RAFMSA also co-ordinate the Sports Bids, made by individuals to the Sports Board (for members with Sports Lottery tickets), these sports bids can be submitted throughout the season via the Comp Secs.

You can also:

a) approach your PEd flt for assistance. Be expected to provide information on all the events you plan on doing, what level, expected expenditure and any income you may have (such as commercial sponsors). In return you will be expected to write articles and provide copyright-free images for use in the station magazines.

b) as a junior rank approach your station SIF fund (however remember to notify in point a) above if successful)

c) use the fact you're in the Service to market yourself and your team (even you on a bike is a team) to commercial sponsors for financial assistance. At the moment some companies are very keen to have their brand/name associated with currently very popular Armed Forces.

If you are entirely serious about starting in motor sport you will make it work, however it needs effort, a lot of effort. There is something out there to match every budget, from station Kart racing clubs and car sprints to IOM TT and car circuit racing/rallying.

Craig855s

Sergeant
TG13 has it right. Yes it's an expensive game and the only help an LAC will get over and above a SGT or higher is help from SIF. So if you're serious about it follow TG13s advice (especially as if you're a young lad with no financial commitments or debt then you can do it, i bet you you have more disposable income for hobbies than I do as a Cpl family man)

There are SACs I know involved in 2 stroke karting which is also an expensive game, Im involved in the endurance champs which uses station owned race karts to compete in team events, if it wasnt for them i dont think i could do it.