• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recruitment advice please

• Thread starter Thread starter Lightweight83
  • Start date Start date
L

Lightweight83

Hi all,
Looking for some initial advice on joining RAuxAF.
I’m a 42 year old male who have always been interested in doing some form of military service. However, ended up in Civ Police (non H.O. Force) and when joined was more or less told that any reserve service could not be considered due to the effect it may have on my police duties. Like a t*t I took this as word and did not pursue further. Anyway I left Police service 3 years ago for no other reason than to try something else, and at that time thinking I was too old to try for reserves. After spending this time shinning a chair and pie overload (currently working on rectifying) I have found out about the wider age limits for joining RAuxAF.
After reading other posts on here I’m not too worried about the age thing, as I have the determination to give it a real go, but would appreciate any (helpful) advice on the following:
1. I live in the Channel Islands I have seen on a post from a couple of years ago that some units recruit nationally i.e. Intel and RAFP. Is this still the case? I’m concerned that my location may put any unit off, if they have to budget for travel.
2. 3 TPW would be an obvious choice to try for, but how far removed is this role from general police duties? I note that they seem to do a lot of ‘hands on’ front line, field work which I think I would prefer.
3. Also having no previous military experience; I know that they say this doesn’t matter, but could it realistically be counted against me if other applicants are ex-service. I think I could handle most aspects of basic and trade training. The only thing that concerns me is drill as I was a complete ‘Biff’ at police training back in the day when we had daily drill.
Any advice from those who know would be very welcome.
Thanks

Tocsin

LAC
Can't speak for TPW, but Int have some personnel travelling very long distances - I'm a weed at only 185 miles each way.

I also know for sure that serving Police were allowed (up to force limits) to join the RAuxAF in the last 10 years, so you were given duff gen - unless it was so long ago it was during the Cold War...

As already said - give it a go!

(and if you do want to know more about the Int side - pm me)

D

Davyskuller

Be gentle! Pongo looking for transfer!

Be gentle! Pongo looking for transfer!

Hi all, first post, just joined, just looking for a bit of firsthand experience from you lads or even some advice on certain trades such as personnel Support Officer.

Cheers in Advance, Skuller.

Back