• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reloading windows

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I normally wipe and reload windows once every 3 years or so when everything has slowed down so much I can't stand it anymore.

The laptop that belongs to the old ball and chain is due an overhaul.

But here's the thing...

The DVD drive doesn't really work anymore so I can't put the disk in and just go through the motions.

I thought I might be able to store an image of the disk on the hard drive if I transfer it over the net. Of course I would like to format the disk completely and just have 1 drive, (At the moment it's split into 2).

What can I do bearing in mind I want to wipe the disk and can't use the DVD drive?

M

monobrow

Get a new DVD drive for it unless it supports USB booting in the BIOS. While it's booting up it'll reel off something like "Press F10 for setup". Press F10 and have a scope through the options. This does mean though that you'll have to have a USB stick formatted as bootable or an external hard drive that has a bootable partition, plus operating system or operating system setup.....

You can get Damn Small Linux on a pen drive, bootable then access what you want over the network (wired) Something a bit more fancy, you'll be looking at Ubuntu/Gentoo/Fedora but it's still not windows and won't install windows for you.

Seriously, buy a new DVD drive...

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I know you buy new hard drives, ram and maybe graphics cards.

But I thought that the DVD was an integral part that couldn't be changed?

It's an ACER Aspire 1355C.... Don't know if that helps or not? :PDT_Xtremez_42:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Two options

Two options

I'm no computer expert, trust me, but I thought you could boot from a memory stick? If not have you got an external DVD you could borrow or use?

M

monobrow

But I thought that the DVD was an integral part that couldn't be changed?
It can be done. My laptop (is a bit old, but) has a swappable CD drive and floppy drive. Another laptop I had took about an hour to dismantle, had about 30 minature screws but the DVD drive is a standard unit, it's usually the bit that sits flush with the end of the laptop thats the problem. Failing that take it to a computer repairer for a quote, should be fairly easy to accomplish!

Shugster

Warrant Officer
It can be done. My laptop (is a bit old, but) has a swappable CD drive and floppy drive. Another laptop I had took about an hour to dismantle, had about 30 minature screws but the DVD drive is a standard unit, it's usually the bit that sits flush with the end of the laptop thats the problem. Failing that take it to a computer repairer for a quote, should be fairly easy to accomplish!

What! I've just spent over 600 quid on bits for my old car... and the more I fix the more problems I find.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Thanks for the tips though, I'll have a nose inside and see what can be done.

G

grumpyoldb

That's the beauty of a desktop pc. You can get inside and work on it.

M

monobrow

Well I ripped apart my swappable one. This is what gets pushed into the shell

This is a cheeky adapter that is built into it, a little blurry but you can see it's nothing like what the internals of the laptop need!

Hope this helps!

Just had a look on Ebay for ACER aspire dvd and got 581 results ranging from £7 up for a replacement DVD. If you look where the DVD is mounted there may be a single screw this will hold it in place. Other than that rip out the guts of your laptop 20-30 screws and take the DVD out.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I managed to reload it using an external DVD drive borrowed from a friend, luckily the BIOS supported, "USB legacy", (Don't ask me what it means exactly, but it has enough functionality to talk to USB items and download the right drivers).

The hard part was sitting here for hours while all the updates were done. :PDT_Xtremez_35:

But the ball and chain should be happy now... should. :PDT_Xtremez_26:

Back