• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Residency Issues

I

Irish1

Hey,
This is my first post so go easy please, anyways i am currently thinking of joining the raf as a pilot and i am 15 years old i fight all the requirements(height,eye,nationality etc..) except for the residency requirement i have lived in the Republic of Ireland all my live and as you need to live in the UK for at least 5 years i was wondering whether there was a possibiliy i could get a waiver. also why does the raf allow peolple to apply from other commonwealth country but still say you have to live in the uk for 5 years it seems kind of contradicatory? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Irish1

R

Reformed Scribbly

Irish, the nationality policy and residency policies are linked, but cover different areas. So yes, you can join if you are from the RoI or a commonwealth country, but you do normally have to have lived in the UK for a set period of time, often 5 years. This is for security purposes to ensure that full background checks take place, for everyone, even if they are a UK national and have lived in the UK all their life.

If you are keen on joining, have you thought about going to university in the UK? That way you can start your residency, join a University Air Squadon, which can help with the recruitment process and you can get in contact with recruiters.

As the upper age limit for aircrew is now 25, you'd still have more than one shot at your application.

At the moment waivers are unlikely because of the current financial situation, however, things may change in the future. But I'd try and get everything completely above baord, then it would be one less thing to worry about.

I

Irish1

yes but does the university air squadron not have the same 5 year residency requirement but i did read that quote"Republic of Ireland Citizens. For the purposes of this policy, only Irish Citizens born in the Republic of Ireland are eligible for service in the RAF. Other special rules apply for Irish Citizens and such applicants are advised to contact their nearest AFCO for clarification.
What are these other rules if anybody would know i would greatly appreciated it and also do you think they would relate to the residency issue?
Regards,
Irish1