• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Residency Requirement - Gibraltar

Galant

LAC
Okay, so here's a question about residency.

The website states that residency requirements are for 3 years UK minimum.

I'm a full British citizen, but for the last four to five years have been living in Gibraltar.

I'm curious to know if Gibraltar will count for British residency or if I would be required to move back to the UK for a few years prior to enlisting?

Gibraltar is a bit of a unique place and falls into a few gaps in categories.

It's British territory with a locally elected Chief Minister and for military and foreign issues a crown appointed Governor.

In the past Gibraltar was primarily a military base with a significant presence from all three forces, but which now only has a very small showing from the RAF and RN but which still maintains the Royal Gibraltar Regiment of the Army, who recruit locally as well as receiving other British applicants.

In the area of education, Gibraltar not having a university, students here go to UK universities as 'home' students.

Due to these sort of things I was wondering if, and hoping that, enlistment might be possible directly from Gibraltar.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hello mate,

Gib is a great place - I spent 3 very happy years there about 10 years ago working in the Dockyard, so I know the place really well. Really miss it and no other posting I've had has compared!

The following is lifted from the RAF Careers website:

UK Resident for a Minimum of 5-years

If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for a minimum period of 5 years immediately prior to your application, and have not spent more than 28 days per year outside of the UK during this time, then you meet our residency criteria. You should register your interest as normal.

If you have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK in the last 5 years, then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility. During the application process you will be asked to explain why you have spent over 28 days outside the UK. In the meantime, provided that you meet our other eligibility criteria, you should register your interest as normal.

UK Resident Between 3 and 5-years

If you have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years but less than 5 years immediately prior to making your application, and have not spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK during this period then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, provided that you meet our other eligibility criteria, you should register your interest as normal.

UK Resident less than 3 years
If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, you should register you interest as normal.
■You spent time abroad for travel/ study gap year reasons.
■You lived abroad because your parents were employed by the UK government (including HM Forces) in a foreign country.
■You are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.

If you fall under the criteria listed above, you're good to go. Are you Gibraltarian or from the UK originally?

A good place to start is HQBF in the dockyard. There is a Pers Spt RAF Officer who works there (SO3 J1) - he may be able to assist you. Also, if you can, contact the RAF Careers Hotline (0845 605 5555) or you can email your question via the website.

Good luck.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Sorry I can't help you with the residency thing. However, I was over there the second week in October. Stayed in Spain and walked in (cheaper that way)......Liked the Spanish ciggie bust that really backed up the traffic at home time, but hopefully the new talks with Spain using the airfield for their own use will curb that.

Was a fantastic place to visit, even thinking of moving over there and checked out prices, the money is waiting in the bank.

My burd even got an interview with Morrisons (they have a bar in the café) next time we are over there (possibly April).

All the best in finding your answers.

Mr SCJ

Galant

LAC
Thanks for the heads up Warwick.

I was born in Gibraltar but my family moved to England when I was one. Grew up in Lancashire. I have, and always have had, full, natural British citizenship. My Dad was a British Dependent Territories citizen when that still existed, my mum is English. Grew up and was educated in England.

I tried both the website and the hotline but neither said they could help - although the hotline gave me the number to call the London recruiting office. I assume they hold a little more clout? I'll give them a call tomorrow, hopefully they're open.

I actually met someone here in Gib, two days ago, whose dad and husband served in the RAF. She gave me the number of a Sgt. here but so far his phone has been off. There weren't any other phone numbers listed locally since there is no RAF recruiting office in Gib.

I don't live too far from the docks so I'll see how far I can get just popping down to see someone.

I think I read that there are only 5 permanent RAF members serving here now. Not sure how accurate that info was or still is.

Assuming the worst and I can't seem to make contact with anyone or no-one has any specific info, what do you think the best bet is? Whilst we'd be happy to move over to the UK to start training, moving over before hand, trying to find other work etc. would be much less preferable. Especially with my wife being American and so having to jump through hoops of paperwork for a temporary prior job wouldn't be ideal. Although that's actually a side issue. The immigration side of things for her might not be that hard due to our time here in Gib. Long story short, joining straight from Gib is far preferable.

CJ - there are affordable places in Gib if you keep asking around. Depends upon the size and standard of home you're after, and whether you're happy to rent or need to buy. For example, I just saw my previous land-lord earlier today and he mentioned he has a two bedroom which he will be doing up for rental in a few months. He thought the rent would run at around 520 Sterling. That's not too bad. Spain is definitely cheaper, but can be more hassle if you plan on spending most of your time in Gibraltar. Lots of people do it though and if you really don't mind it and have the money you can get some beautiful Spanish houses for a lot less than what you would pay in Gibraltar. Guadacorte comes to mind.

Last edited:

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the heads up Warwick.

I was born in Gibraltar but my family moved to England when I was one. Grew up in Lancashire. I have, and always have had, full, natural British citizenship. My Dad was a British Dependent Territories citizen when that still existed, my mum is English. Grew up and was educated in England.

I tried both the website and the hotline but neither said they could help - although the hotline gave me the number to call the London recruiting office. I assume they hold a little more clout? I'll give them a call tomorrow, hopefully they're open.

I actually met someone here in Gib, two days ago, whose dad and husband served in the RAF. She gave me the number of a Sgt. here but so far his phone has been off. There weren't any other phone numbers listed locally since there is no RAF recruiting office in Gib.

I don't live too far from the docks so I'll see how far I can get just popping down to see someone.

I think I read that there are only 5 permanent RAF members serving here now. Not sure how accurate that info was or still is.

Assuming the worst and I can't seem to make contact with anyone or no-one has any specific info, what do you think the best bet is? Whilst we'd be happy to move over to the UK to start training, moving over before hand, trying to find other work etc. would be much less preferable. Especially with my wife being American and so having to jump through hoops of paperwork for a temporary prior job wouldn't be ideal. Although that's actually a side issue. The immigration side of things for her might not be that hard due to our time here in Gib. Long story short, joining straight from Gib is far preferable.

CJ - there are affordable places in Gib if you keep asking around. Depends upon the size and standard of home you're after, and whether you're happy to rent or need to buy. For example, I just saw my previous land-lord earlier today and he mentioned he has a two bedroom which he will be doing up for rental in a few months. He thought the rent would run at around 520 Sterling. That's not too bad. Spain is definitely cheaper, but can be more hassle if you plan on spending most of your time in Gibraltar. Lots of people do it though and if you really don't mind it and have the money you can get some beautiful Spanish houses for a lot less than what you would pay in Gibraltar. Guadacorte comes to mind.

SCJ - I have fallen out of that bar in Morrison's (or Safeway as was) on many an occasion!

Galant - Firstly, there always was around 5 or so RAF people in the Dockyard - I was a SAC at the time and there was a Cpl, Sgt, Flt Lt and Sqn Ldr in there too. It's a RN command so we have only a small representation in there. Still a decent tour though and it was fantastic having the hills above Algeciras and the Jebel Musa out of my office window. The Sgt will probably be the Adj at RAF Gib, by the ATC tower. The chances are he will be on Xmas leave so may be worth trying again next week? Your best bet I think is to contact the London AFCO guys. The fact that you have full British citizenship shouldn't hinder you and plenty of Gibraltarians have joined the RAF in the past and will in the future without any issues.

Good luck and keep us informed as to how you're progressing.

Back