• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Role of Police Officer

Eloise

LAC
Hello,

I am a University student who has just sent off an application for the role of Police Officer.
Although I am currently awaiting to hear back, any advice on this role and the interviews would be greatly appreciated?

If there are any current serving Police Officers that wouldn't mind me asking some questions and for some advice it would be wonderful if you would get in touch.

All the best,

Eloise

Mag2grid

Corporal
Serving Met Police, Ex Officer.....what do you want to know about the application process? Can't comment on life after DCPG Southwick Park though.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Before uou go any further Eloise, do you mean Provost Officer (Commisioned) or RAFP (Acting Corporal unpaid (unwanted))?

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Why not, some AFCO's can be good at truly portraying the tedium that is a JO's life. I've worked with at least two people with engineering degrees who joined up as airmen so they could work the tools. Granted both of them left within 5 years after gaining a little experience.

stereolab

Station Cashier
Why not, some AFCO's can be good at truly portraying the tedium that is a JO's life. I've worked with at least two people with engineering degrees who joined up as airmen so they could work the tools. Granted both of them left within 5 years after gaining a little experience.

The keyword here was "doubt", she may off course join up in the ranks and have a worthwhile career. Commissioning as an entrant or later after airmans service is not for everyone. Having a degree while serving in the ranks may indeed assist in a faster track promotion.

Eloise

LAC
Sorry, I mean Provost officer (commissioned).

One of my main concerns during the application process are the interviews. I am aware that a thorough knowledge of the RAF and current affairs is needed, but what are the main personality traits that they are looking for? Obviously I can only be myself but I'd love to convey my most desirable personality traits.

Also does specific degrees affect acceptance? Obviously having an Engineering degree to become an Engineer is important but I am doing mine in Archaeology so am a little concerned they may feel this is irrelevant.

Eloise

Wuuf

LAC

One of my main concerns during the application process are the interviews. I am aware that a thorough knowledge of the RAF and current affairs is needed, but what are the main personality traits that they are looking for? Obviously I can only be myself but I'd love to convey my most desirable personality traits.

Also does specific degrees affect acceptance? Obviously having an Engineering degree to become an Engineer is important but I am doing mine in Archaeology so am a little concerned they may feel this is irrelevant.

Eloise

I'm tempted to be flippant and say that as Provost you are probably too intelligent, and the best way to succeed in your interview(s) is to come across as a dribbling knucklehead who says 'wibble' a lot.

Back to being serious. For your first question I recommend you pop across to pprune as there is a massive OASC application thread as a sticky. It mainly relates to the flying chaps, but there is some good gen in there (especially page 8). Main personality traits - leadership and a drive to succeed are up there. Hopefully you will have some examples from your own experience. I expect it will come up should you get to OASC. Certainly be yourself and show you have personality. Many an application has bit the dust because the interviewee has churned out stock answers what he/she expects is what the interviewer(s) want to hear. If it means you take a few more seconds before you start your reply then so be it (but not too long of course).

As to your second point. I recall that OASC Provost was the only branch where you did not have to pass any of the aptitude tests (this may have changed though). As such your degree is more than sufficient, as it demonstrates you are capable of learning to that level. Hopefully it will be a 2:1 or above, and not a Desmond or below.

Last edited:

Eloise

LAC
Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I shall take a look at pprune.

Do you have an idea of what sort of questions they ask in interviews?

Eloise

Wuuf

LAC
Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I shall take a look at pprune.

Do you have an idea of what sort of questions they ask in interviews?

Eloise

To be honest, I can't recall exactly what I was asked. At OASC it covered current affairs, knowledge of the RAF, my branch and my interests/hobbies. At the end they asked me if I wanted to add anything and I did. To this day I am sure that is what tipped it for me as I got to add an important point.

Research well and good luck.

PS - For current affairs it is worth getting The Economist and reading it cover to cover in the months prior to your interviews.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts

One of my main concerns during the application process are the interviews. I am aware that a thorough knowledge of the RAF and current affairs is needed, but what are the main personality traits that they are looking for? Obviously I can only be myself but I'd love to convey my most desirable personality traits. The selection process at OASC is very good at exposing the person under the facade so it can put the right people into the right jobs and the selection interview is no different. What they are looking for is how you cope under pressure, how well researched you are over world events, you levels of maturity, things ike that. You are applying to be an Officer in HM's Forces so you will be expected to display a wide knowledge of current affairs and matters happening at home and abroad that could affect government and defence policy. During the interview, you will be asked your thoughts on various affairs and they will argue the opposite point with you, just to see a) how well you have actually researched the topic and b) how well you construct your argument demonstrating your viewpoint. the interview lasts about 45 minutes or so and is divided into two parts - the first part is structured around you, where you went to school, hobbies, sports played, etc. The second is about your motivation towards joining the RAF - they'll ask you about your branch, where you'll train, your career structure, where you'll likely be posted to at home and abroad, they'll ask you about the RAF as a whole, what we do, where we go and why. As I've already alluded to, you'll be asked about current affairs and how they' could affect British defence and foreign policy. If you're successful at this stage, then you'll move onto the rest of the selection process. All you can do really is be yourself throughout the interview and the process as a whole. AS I said, OASC is very good at unmasking facades.

Also does specific degrees affect acceptance? Obviously having an Engineering degree to become an Engineer is important but I am doing mine in Archaeology so am a little concerned they may feel this is irrelevant. For those applying for commissioning, in the majority of branches the choice of degree isn't really that relevant. That said, someone with a degree in a subject like Drama won't be looked on as favourable as someone with a degree in something academic. It's the fact that you have a degree is what counts as you have proven that you can take on a massive amount of in-depth information, filter out what is necessary and apply it to make decisions. You will also have a few years seniority over the non-graduates which means higher pay and faster promotion prospects. The non-grads will get there eventually however those on the graduate entry will be further up the ladder.So a degree in Archaeology isn't really that much of an issue, rather than a strong ability to demonstrate the qualities that they look for at OASC.

Eloise

Please see my answers above in red.

Eloise

LAC
Thank you so much for this advice. I really appreciate all the help.

Lets just hope I get through the first application to be able to use it.

Eloise

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You should already have your nose into a good broadsheet anyway but about a month before you go to OASC pick 5 items of news from home and abroad and start a sheet of A4 on each and really nail down the major players, whats happened, whats about to happen and what it will mean to us and form an opinion on the whole thing...then when they ask you to list 3-5 things that are happening in the news at the moment you can...and when they ask you to talk about the the last one you mentioned (in theory the one you would have dragged out last and would know least about) you can manipulate the situation to your advantage.

Research where we (RAF) are in the world and why. Find out what we have aircraft wise, what is about to be scrapped and what is about to come in. Know our present manning levels and any aspiration to alter that. Know what our policies are for drugs (usage thereof). Know what a Provost Officers duties are likely to be. Know what the training road map to becoming a Provost Officer is at the moment and your likely career path. Know what posting are available and form an opinion obviously based on your limited knowledge as to what you might like to do and why. Know what the RAF look for in a leader i.e. honesty, credibility, determination, honour, courage, flexibility and so on.

It's also vital you research the distance, speed, time challenges you'll get at OASC and what happens in the hangar exercises...No-one expects you to be perfect but you must display the traits of someone the training regime can mould into something pretty damn useful. You are up against 1000's of people equally as keen in getting in so you need to be better than all of them...The above will help you to be that.

All of the above is available online and open source...go and investigate!

Eloise

LAC
Thank you. This is really great advice.

Do I need a thorough knowledge of all HM services or just RAF as this is where I want to be?

Eloise

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thank you. This is really great advice.

Do I need a thorough knowledge of all HM services or just RAF as this is where I want to be?

Eloise

Predominately RAF but as the 3 forces work closely together these days (jointery) then never miss a chance to log away any info you get about any of the 3 arms...You'll need to be an information sponge whilst in the RAF so start getting used to it now. It's not as hard as it may look if you have an interest in it!

Back