• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Royal Aeronautical society

• Thread starter Thread starter LeeVanCleef
  • Start date Start date
L

LeeVanCleef

Hello all,

Im seeking some advice, so if anyone has any experience or knowledge they could pass on id be very greatfull.

Im an SAC Tech Fairy and i shall be leaving the air force in the coming months.
I completed my NVQ but never botherd with my B-Tech. I wish to stay in the aero industry an hence have just started the engineers licence course.
My Question is this, is it worth me trying to gain membership to a professional institute? and if it is, how hard is it to gain membership?

Ive had a look at the RAes website and the application forms and they are very straight forward however i think getting a "sponsor" would prove a stumbling block as i dont know enough people who could "sponsor/vouch" for me as i havent been in current post for very long.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

LVC

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hello all,

Im seeking some advice, so if anyone has any experience or knowledge they could pass on id be very greatfull.

Im an SAC Tech Fairy and i shall be leaving the air force in the coming months.
I completed my NVQ but never botherd with my B-Tech. I wish to stay in the aero industry an hence have just started the engineers licence course.
My Question is this, is it worth me trying to gain membership to a professional institute? and if it is, how hard is it to gain membership?

Ive had a look at the RAes website and the application forms and they are very straight forward however i think getting a "sponsor" would prove a stumbling block as i dont know enough people who could "sponsor/vouch" for me as i havent been in current post for very long.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

LVC

You might want to consider the IET instead mate. I'm TMIET as well as EngTech with the UK Engineering Council. JEngo/Sengo can usually be a sponsor, by virtue of their rank.

If you need anything else, just ask.

MP

Rikster

Sergeant
Royal society? why? I know that not one of the Licensed engineers I work with (including myself) is a member! I can't really see that being a member gives you any "real" advantage.
You'd be better off spending your time and money on your license course

Royal society? why? I know that not one of the Licensed engineers I work with (including myself) is a member! I can't really see that being a member gives you any "real" advantage.
You'd be better off spending your time and money on your license course

I agree, your money and efforts would be better concentrated on getting licensed for the foreseeable future. A licence with type ratings will get you jobs and attract a decent salary. As said before, employers looking for LAE’s are interested in the licenses you hold and the level of cover (type ratings) you’ve got, not HNC’s, Degrees or a load of fancy letters after your name.

If you are still intent on joining the RAes, wait a few years until you are licensed. A type rated Part-66 AML holder qualifies for Associate Member (AMRAeS) and IEng status with the Engineering Council.

Registration with professional bodies and additional qualifications such as Degrees can open up new doors in the future so I would never disregard the option. I know guys in the industry who have studied for additional qualifications after they’ve become LAE’s. They may not be of any benefit in terms of boosting your earning potential but they show a pro-active approach to furthering yourself and more importantly, keep the old brain from going stale.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I agree, your money and efforts would be better concentrated on getting licensed for the foreseeable future. A licence with type ratings will get you jobs and attract a decent salary. As said before, employers looking for LAE’s are interested in the licenses you hold and the level of cover (type ratings) you’ve got, not HNC’s, Degrees or a load of fancy letters after your name.

If you are still intent on joining the RAes, wait a few years until you are licensed. A type rated Part-66 AML holder qualifies for Associate Member (AMRAeS) and IEng status with the Engineering Council.

Registration with professional bodies and additional qualifications such as Degrees can open up new doors in the future so I would never disregard the option. I know guys in the industry who have studied for additional qualifications after they’ve become LAE’s. They may not be of any benefit in terms of boosting your earning potential but they show a pro-active approach to furthering yourself and more importantly, keep the old brain from going stale.

Agreed, the networking and professional development stuff from institutions can be of help also. I wouldn't know about the Civvy Aviation Engineering sector, but surely registering with an Engineering institution looks like you are comitted to improving your personal and professional skills.

C

Captain Gatso

I fully agree with what DH and MP have said mate. As one who has just left the Airforce over a month ago your best bet is to do your JAR 66,B2 Licence. You can get your other accreditation stuff later on. Your B licences mate open all the doors. Nearly all the lads I am working with at the moment at my new job are doing their B1's or 2's now. The airline is even sponsering an 'A' course at the moment. It's not letters after your name that you need it's the JAR mate. That's the target you have to focus on.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
To better expain the difference:

A CAT B licence is a vocational qualification demonstrating tangible experience levels and allowing you work work under company authorisations and approvals.
= a practicle qualification for generating money

Membership of engineering institutes is just that! It does show a willingness to be a member of like minded talking groups and networking circles but is essentially a academic society mainly concerned with design elements of practical concerns.
= an academic affilliation for generating design knowledge or a network of business contacts.

I hope this helps.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I fully agree with what DH and MP have said mate. As one who has just left the Airforce over a month ago your best bet is to do your JAR 66,B2 Licence. You can get your other accreditation stuff later on. Your B licences mate open all the doors. Nearly all the lads I am working with at the moment at my new job are doing their B1's or 2's now. The airline is even sponsering an 'A' course at the moment. It's not letters after your name that you need it's the JAR mate. That's the target you have to focus on.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Yeph, CAA exam certificates and making the most of filling your PDR with aircraft related tasks are what you should be looking at if you wish to get a career in civil avaition. My HNC and other certs pale into insigficance to the CAA module passes I have already got and the others I'm strifing to gain.

L

LeeVanCleef

Thanks for the help chaps, like i said i have started the LAE course (altho only very recently). I guess i could of been a bit broader with the question, letters after my name... thats not what interested me, i certainly dont want to cheat myself into looking better than what my current educational qualifications prove.

More to show willing to take an interest in the industry outside of the working day, and the obvious one that the networking possibilities can only be a good thing, especially for a (currently) unlicenced engineer.

Back