• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sata & Eide

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Can someone please explain how a SATA drive sits with EIDE on a PC?
Just as I was getting used to the idea of having two hard drives on the EIDE, now it seems that what I had hitherto seen as something for Business or Server use is now out there in front.

My motherboard has 4 SATA slots and the usual rook of EIDE. I can get the Secondary IDE channel connected to the DVDs, but how do I know which SATA drive is which and do I need to do strange and arcane things in the BIOS ?

In theory, I can have six hard drives, but I have not a clue how.

:S

M

monobrow

You can.

SATA works from 0 up. So the drive (be it hard disk or dvd burner) plugged in to slot 0 will be seen first.

With a bit of tweaking in the BIOS and a multitude of disks, you could have your setup mirrored, or up to 4 drives concatonated for one big disk. Only works with the SATA side of things though, so no mirrored IDE...

You generally don't need to set up which is C: in windows, but you will need the driver floppy disk that comes with the motherboard as part of the windows setup. If you have anything plugged in as IDE though whilst you do the XP setup, it usually boots up the SATA system as D: and the IDE space as C: which is annoying as f*ck.

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks Mr M.
I don't want to run a giant disk or multi-disks (well, perhaps 2), but I would like to use my plug-in IDE drives when necessary (In a 5.25" cradle). The new HDD is a 160MB SATA so I should not need much else for a good while. So if I have a SATA as C:, will the plug-in IDE (on the primary IDE channel) be D: and the DVD/s E: & F: ?
Or is that too much to hope for?

M

monobrow

Easily do-able, only tip from me though is when installing XP, unplug the power connector to the IDE hard disk. Then the SATA will install as C: and the rest you can sort out later (Right click on my computer -> manage -> Disk management).

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
I would be advise you to only use the IDE drive for file storage too (i.e. storing photos, documents, etc), don't install applications or games on it otherwise you'll loose the speed advantages that are inherent in the SATA system.

Back