• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sata/pata

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well, my nice new gaming PC goes like a bomb, and is running on XP-64bit. However, I want to add in my normal XP from the hard drive from my old PC. The new HDD is SATA, whereas my old one I'm trying to install is PATA. Can it be done? If I go into the BIOS, is can't see the PATA HDD. Am I banging my head against the wall?

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Well, my nice new gaming PC goes like a bomb, and is running on XP-64bit. However, I want to add in my normal XP from the hard drive from my old PC. The new HDD is SATA, whereas my old one I'm trying to install is PATA. Can it be done? If I go into the BIOS, is can't see the PATA HDD. Am I banging my head against the wall?

PD does your PC motherboard have IDE(PATA) slots on it?

if not get yourself and external USB caddy like This one Added bonus as an external backup drive.

Last edited:
G

grumpyoldb

Ping, your new motherboard should have both sata and pata connectors.

Mine has, and I'm running four internal HDD's, 2x sata, and 2x pata as well as two externals.

The system should recognise the pata conections automatically.

Good luck.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ping, your new motherboard should have both sata and pata connectors.

Mine has, and I'm running four internal HDD's, 2x sata, and 2x pata as well as two externals.

The system should recognise the pata conections automatically.

Good luck.

Yeah, that's the problem, it doesn't. I'd fully expected it to say it had found new hardware, but it didn't. I've got the connections to the PATA set up ok (I think) but still no joy. It's gone invisible! Thanks for the advice so far though at least I know they are compatable.

P

pie sandwich

As far as I know if you are plugging in a new HDD direct to your MOBO then it will just show up in my computer and not show a pop up saying new hardware detected.

M

monobrow

My BIOS just sees "Hard Drive" regardless of what I boot from...

With Windows, it should see both drives and ask you to select which windows version you want to boot. It may require some editing of boot.ini on the XP disk though to reflect which HDD it is seeing (as in it would have been disk 0 as the only disk, now it would be 1 behind the SATA)

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
PATA: WTF ?

Is this another stupid name for IDE ?

Ping:
You can still get IDE cards and plug your other drive into that.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Might be worth checking the master/slave jumper setting on your IDE drives. As has already been said, the drives should be recognised straight away, but if you have other devices on the same IDE channel with the slave jumpers set incorrectly then your system may fail to recognise them.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Might be worth checking the master/slave jumper setting on your IDE drives. As has already been said, the drives should be recognised straight away, but if you have other devices on the same IDE channel with the slave jumpers set incorrectly then your system may fail to recognise them.

Definitely worth checking.

Forgot to mention worth checking in the BIOS to see if the controller is enabled/set to auto for detection of drives.

One problem you are likely to have though is that it may try to boot of the old drive once connected due to the active flag being set on the old windows partition.

Btw your new mobo may not have the drivers installed for an IDE HDD/Otical drive, you will have to goto the mobo manufacturer webpage to get relevant drivers.

The Abit IB9 mobo in my current build suffered this by design. Soon looking to get rid off last IDE bit of kit in it.

On the other hand, this is not a problem with Vista, however l guess xp 64 does not as with xp 32.

Ramble over.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Try another IDE ribbon cable.

Spot on. It was knackered. However, I've now got the new (old) hard drive being recognised by the PC. What I really want is the best of both worlds. I want a good gaming PC for which XP-64bit has been recommended, and also either normal XP or Vista. XP-64 bit won't allow my cannon printer or any other peripherals to be loaded/added as it says it's not compatible with 64bit. I've tried loading it to be compatable with windows 2000, xp, win95, the lot. Any gaming supremo's out there have any suggestions for the best gaming/normal use mix? (I've also copied this onto the Gaming thread).

Last edited:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
You could use a IDE to SATA converter.

They are only a couple of quid and can be handy to convert any old ide Hard drive, Cd rom or DVD drive to the new SATA standard.

HERE

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You could use a IDE to SATA converter.

They are only a couple of quid and can be handy to convert any old ide Hard drive, Cd rom or DVD drive to the new SATA standard.

HERE

Not wanting to appear too thick, but will one of these allow all my peripherals to be seen & then installed from the PATA HDD?

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Basically the adapter connects to the back of your old ide hard drive you then connect it up using SATA cables to the SATA ports on your motherboard.

You should be able to use it exactly as you would any other hard drive.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, do you want to use your old hard drive to boot from? or just to transfer your old data across to the new hard disc?

I'm also not sure why you were recommended XP 64Bit for gaming specifically. There are very few specific 64 bit games (no real market) and the current 32 bit games run at about the same speeds as on 32 Bit XP.

It also has, as you have discovered, very poor hardware support.

You could always dual boot, have both 64 bit (for gaming) and 32 bit (for everything else). You just switch on the computer, and as it starts, you select which Operating system to boot into.

Back