• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Self-build Aircraft. Engineering Licence?

• Thread starter Thread starter POB
  • Start date Start date
P

POB

A bit of help and explanation from you Techie types please!

Myself and a friend are contemplating buying and building an aircraft. I know about the various stages of construction, the need for inspection by the authorities at frequent intervals etc. The limitations on where and when we can fly it.

My question is, wrt Part66 et al, do we need a full engineering licence to operate and service the aircraft in Europe? Can we "Self-certify" our BFs/AFs? How does this side of things work? Thanks in advance for your help!

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the licences etc aren't required below a certain weight limit and that the majority of small light aircraft don't fall into catagories requiring EASA certification.

insty66

Corporal
In the series "a plane is born" (See here) I'm sure I remember it being said that if you build an aircraft, subject to the inspections you mentioned, that you become by default the "certified" engineer!
There will still be parts of the servicing that you are not allowed to do.

If you fancy trawling through this then good luck!

I've toyed with the idea but have never had anywhere to build it, or the money:PDT_Xtremez_38:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I don't do microlights or Light Aircraft anymore (though I feel I might start again some day!)

I believe if your plane is less that 500kg empty it qualifies for microlight or Very Light Aircraft rules that include self-build types

Search for "Very Light Aircraft" on the CAA website.

"My question is, wrt Part66 et al, do we need a full engineering licence to operate and service the aircraft in Europe? Can we "Self-certify" our BFs/AFs? How does this side of things work? Thanks in advance for your help!"

No Part 66 Licence covers this area yet. "66" only goes to "normal" GA and Flying Club Types such as Cessna's, Piper's and the likes. You would need some sort of PFA approval as they deal with thje airworthiness standards of self-builds and Microlights.
As the builder/owner/operator you would be the only persons familiar with the type to certify its pre-flight inspections and post-flight maintenance.

Search for "Popular Flying Association" in the UK.

Hope this helps - and good luck!
Rigga

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Part 5 of this should give you a clue.

CAP 520 Light Aircraft Maintenance

The general point is that the pilot/owner can do the pre flight inspections and some minor maintenance without being a licenced engineer. Deeper maintenance (including the Star checks and other work as specified by the LAMS) has to be cleared by a licenced engineer approved to do so.

P

POB

Part 5 of this should give you a clue.

CAP 520 Light Aircraft Maintenance

The general point is that the pilot/owner can do the pre flight inspections and some minor maintenance without being a licenced engineer. Deeper maintenance (including the Star checks and other work as specified by the LAMS) has to be cleared by a licenced engineer approved to do so.

A big Thank You to all. Been a great help. The inspection rules in Peru are actually stricter than UK, and for the first 40 hours of flight we are limited to 40nm from the airport. Thereafter though, it becomes easier. We are half thinking of flying it back to Europe over a few weeks...Crossing the pond is difficult but not impossible following the Great Circle and taking in the sights of Goose Bay etc!

The aircraft we are thinking of is the Glasair "Sportsman." It is a 2+2 and has a good load carrying capacity. At the moment we have had two "pub" conversations about this, and one sober chat. Time/space and money are main things holding us back, but can be overcome. I was worried that the servicing/licencing thing would be a show stopper before we even put a deposit down, but it seems not.

Next. How do you use a spanner?

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
A big Thank You to all. Been a great help. The inspection rules in Peru are actually stricter than UK, and for the first 40 hours of flight we are limited to 40nm from the airport. Thereafter though, it becomes easier. We are half thinking of flying it back to Europe over a few weeks...Crossing the pond is difficult but not impossible following the Great Circle and taking in the sights of Goose Bay etc!

The aircraft we are thinking of is the Glasair "Sportsman." It is a 2+2 and has a good load carrying capacity. At the moment we have had two "pub" conversations about this, and one sober chat. Time/space and money are main things holding us back, but can be overcome. I was worried that the servicing/licencing thing would be a show stopper before we even put a deposit down, but it seems not.

Next. How do you use a spanner?

I would be checking all the NRA regs of the countries you intend to fly through. If the aircraft is on a national permit to fly only, you would propably have to arrange export PTF's through the airspaces you intend to pass over (expecting that you have every intention to stay over land where ever possible). I'm not teaching anybody to suck eggs mind.. If the kite is type certified by the FAA, things will be different. I'm not strong on the general aviation ledge though.

Back