• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shifts

Tyson

SAC
Morning, Does anyone know which Stations still do 12 on/12 off type shifts, I know Kinloss (line) used to do 6 days on 6 days off, but I was told Lean did away with it. Do any other stations still use shifts like this?

Or does anyone know where I can find out?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lyneham Shifts

Lyneham Shifts

I left Lyneham a few years ago but the lines were working 2 days 2 nights and 4 days off, based on 12 hour shifts.

Although this does not work when your are detached to some far flung s**t hole, as you work until you get back.

:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Tyson

SAC
Cheers for the replies, I assume with 4 and 4 you sleep your first day off so really get three days off. Not too bad though.

Yeah, thats about it. You can try and not sleep after your last night but over a period of time it really drags you down.:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Tyson

SAC
You don't work all night then? Can you get a few hours sleep in? Without being set on fire or boIIocked by the FS?

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Yeah, there's beds with fluffy duvets and everyting on the line at Lyneham.
:rolleyes:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
For a serviceman, you don't seem to know much about where the permanent AT dets are ..... (and there are quite a few)

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Lyneham

Permanent det history.

Started in Thumrait in 2002. Moved into Basrah as soon as ground forces established area with multiple aircraft det.

As soon as Afghanistan kicked off "(2002-2003) we have been in theatre with a multiple aircraft det.

2006 we moved from Basrah to Al Udied........

Still commited to both dets almost 7 years later. PVR's and such like mean your average time at home between dets (2 months) is about 2-4 months. If your unlucky its 6 months away per 12 month period.

Harmony rule eh.....I **** em!!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
And from what Wobbly has just said........

Most techies (that I know) joined up to learn a great trade and also get around and see the world. What is happening is letting them see the world BUT when it becomes the same sh1te every 4 months that people get sent out to do, people get pi$$ed off.

I know for a fact that people don't like spending time away from their families but they will because it is the job they wanted to do. When it becomes too much for the families to endure they will choose family over service 99% of the time which is why a lot of techies are leaving.

(sorry mono but need to tell this bit)
In my new (well over a year now) civvy job I also spend a lot of time away from my family (6 months but at intervals of 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off) but I know within 3 days of when i will go and 3-4 days of when I will be back......days over the allocated 5 weeks get paid at a full daily rate and there are courses you can do to improve yourself (also paid at extra day rate).

There are a lot better options for techies out here.....be grateful for the ones you keep.

Crack on.....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

P.S Sorry if you don't want to hear the ramblings of a HAPPY civvy but I am happy and it's been a long time comming........whoever said that money doesn't buy happiness is right, but it sure does help !!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
And from what Wobbly has just said........

Most techies (that I know) joined up to learn a great trade and also get around and see the world. What is happening is letting them see the world BUT when it becomes the same sh1te every 4 months that people get sent out to do, people get pi$$ed off.

I know for a fact that people don't like spending time away from their families but they will because it is the job they wanted to do. When it becomes too much for the families to endure they will choose family over service 99% of the time which is why a lot of techies are leaving.

(sorry mono but need to tell this bit)
In my new (well over a year now) civvy job I also spend a lot of time away from my family (6 months but at intervals of 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off) but I know within 3 days of when i will go and 3-4 days of when I will be back......days over the allocated 5 weeks get paid at a full daily rate and there are courses you can do to improve yourself (also paid at extra day rate).

There are a lot better options for techies out here.....be grateful for the ones you keep.

Crack on.....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

P.S Sorry if you don't want to hear the ramblings of a HAPPY civvy but I am happy and it's been a long time comming........whoever said that money doesn't buy happiness is right, but it sure does help !!

Feck me, TM's happy, hip hip hooray!:PDT_Xtremez_19:

S

shoutingwind

I left Lyneham a few years ago but the lines were working 2 days 2 nights and 4 days off, based on 12 hour shifts.

Although this does not work when your are detached to some far flung s**t hole, as you work until you get back.

:PDT_Xtremez_28:
we haven't done that shift pattern for donkeys- its now 2 days 3 nights 4 off, 3 days 2 nights 5 off 2 days 2 nights 5 off...

and the died is 6 days 18 on 6 nights 18 on (12hrs in work)

PVR PVR PVR!!!!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
we haven't done that shift pattern for donkeys- its now 2 days 3 nights 4 off, 3 days 2 nights 5 off 2 days 2 nights 5 off...

and the died is 6 days 18 on 6 nights 18 on (12hrs in work)

PVR PVR PVR!!!!

I have to admit, as an observer in the died last year, you herc guys are the hardest working/shafted bods on the planet!

Back