• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SJAR software does not recognise the rank of Chf Tech

T55

Sergeant
For all you lucky Sgts out there soon to get your appraisal in SJAR format, don't be surprised if your FS is pulling his hair out and swearing at JPA even more than usual. The SJAR software does not recognise the rank of Chf Tech, therefore if the 1st RO is a FS he cannot recommend a Sgt for promotion to 2 ranks higher because the system does not recognise that a FS is 2 ranks higher than a Sgt in the techie world.

Nice to see that the biggest trade groups within the RAF are obviously not catered for properly by JPA and SJAR!

Apparently there is no quick fix for the system other than my own thoughts:

Bin the Chf Tech rank and make them Flight Sergeants, make techie Flight Sergeants Warrant Officer 2s. A techie FS is on the same pay band as a WO2 already although the pension is based on OR8 for WO2s. This won't break the bank since most Flight Sergeants will have elected to go on the new pension which is final salary based and therefore already comparable to a WO2. The RN has already adopted the WO2 rank. I strongly believe the RAF should adopt it as well.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For all you lucky Sgts out there soon to get your appraisal in SJAR format, don't be surprised if your FS is pulling his hair out and swearing at JPA even more than usual. The SJAR software does not recognise the rank of Chf Tech, therefore if the 1st RO is a FS he cannot recommend a Sgt for promotion to 2 ranks higher because the system does not recognise that a FS is 2 ranks higher than a Sgt in the techie world.

Nice to see that the biggest trade groups within the RAF are obviously not catered for properly by JPA and SJAR!

Bin the Chf Tech rank and make them Flight Sergeants, make techie Flight Sergeants Warrant Officer 2s. A techie FS is on the same pay band as a WO2 already although the pension is based on OR8 for WO2s. This won't break the bank since most Flight Sergeants will have elected to go on the new pension which is final salary based and therefore already comparable to a WO2. The RN has already adopted the WO2 rank. I strongly believe the RAF should adopt it as well.

Agreed, I think the defence committee recently brought up the same points. It does the RAF no favours in the joint environment.

I'd wager they will bring in some pish like they did with the SAC(T) and make C/T "acting" for paperwork purposes.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me. Change the rank structure of the RAF because of crap software...oh hang on, its exactly the kid of solution our Lords and masters would come up with :PDT_Xtremez_42:

T55

Sergeant
Sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me. Change the rank structure of the RAF because of crap software...oh hang on, its exactly the kid of solution our Lords and masters would come up with :PDT_Xtremez_42:

I agree that my suggested solution sounds flippant to imply that rank structure should be changed to reflect software issues, but in reality I think that if techies must have 2 additional ranks than the rest of the RAF then both these ranks should be higher.

insty66

Corporal

The first RO cannot recommend 2 ranks up as far as I know, that is the job of the 2 ro!

I know it does recognise C/T as I've just finished 2 Sgt SJAR and i can certainly recommend 1 rank up! Because I have!

Besides if it doesn't recognise C/T how come it displays it?

There is no pressure on the RAF to adopt WO2 as this will mean promoting the FS's to WO2 and the Chiefs to FS, giving all us wonderful Chiefs :PDT_Xtremez_30:(& the scoffers:PDT_Xtremez_15: ) immediate sign on rights to age 55.:0 That'll clog your promotion up somewhat!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
For all you lucky Sgts out there soon to get your appraisal in SJAR format

Should have been done as at 1 May and sent to ACOS by 1 Jun, so anyone soon to get theirs should ask why its late.

ACOS do not send hasteners out to units any more until the very last minute (ie just before a board), so it is up to the RO's to make sure they know who they have to report on and when they have to do them by.

Totally agree with the rest of the OP's text though - its ridiculous that an RAF rank has been missed out, particularly when we were first to implement SJARs.

T55

Sergeant
The first RO cannot recommend 2 ranks up as far as I know, that is the job of the 2 ro!

I know it does recognise C/T as I've just finished 2 Sgt SJAR and i can certainly recommend 1 rank up! Because I have!

Besides if it doesn't recognise C/T how come it displays it?

If the 1st RO is 2 ranks above the subject he is meant to be able to recommend the potential for 2 ranks up but can't because of the SJAR software.

Let me rephrase my original comment about Chf Tech rank not being recognised, "SJAR does not recognise that FS is 2 ranks above Sgt in the techie world".

Back