• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow internet page loading/downloading.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For the last week or so, my internet speed seems to have slowed down to something slower than an asthmatic snail.

I can't watch Youtube videos, in fact any net videos and downloads of only a few hundred KB are taking sometimes up to 10 minutes to download.

My system is virus free, spyware free etc and the internet connection and router is okay because Mrs TW's laptop works fine.

I've tried opera, firefox and internet explorer and they all behave the same way.

I've googled various word combinations, "Internet slow", "Slow download problem" and so on but nothing seems to pinpoint the problem.

I tried a system restore but it screwed up the anti virus database on my computer. I've downloaded new drivers for my machine, updated Flash etc (albeit very slowly, see above) and I am now baffled.

Any advice gratefully received.

TW.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Try looking in the task manager and click on the CPU useage tab, you might see a program using all the CPUs power. Then google the program to see what it does.

I just had a problem with "drwtsn" which is a windows program that is supposed to find and report problems if a program crashes. I turned it off in the end as the PC had slowed down so much.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I assume you've run a speed test to confirm the speed on the line?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I assume you've run a speed test to confirm the speed on the line?

Yes, I did and bizarrely it came back with a result saying average speed for the area.

It's weird. It's almost as though something has a put a choke on everything that's inward coming.

Baffled? You bet I am.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

I have to admit that since I formatted the hard drive a few months ago, I left windows automatic updates on and Im beginning to suspect that an update may have caused this. :PDT_Xtremez_26:

Also, I've just turned off the windows defender information share option. I need to restart my system to see if it's made a difference.

As far as the goat goes, It's taking between 5 and 15 seconds to load a page and that's just not right.

TW

steve_k243

Sergeant
Any error messages mentioning DNS or "lookup failure / unable to resolve etc etc " or any error at all?

Try shugsters suggestion of checking cpu/mem/processes in task manager.

Back