• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stopping messenger Starting

insty66

Corporal
It's probably very easy but being a technobiff I have been utterly utterly unable to stop the new Microsoft messenger (I know) from launching on start up. I've tried disabling in IE and had a root around in the start menu but biffness won.:PDT_Xtremez_09:

I don't want to uninstall as my little'un uses it fir chatting to her cousins and she's not bothered by the startup delays on her login, but me and Mrs I66 are and want to stop it.

Thanks in advance for any help at all

I'm running XP pro and IE7 (again I know!) if this helps.

gray

Sergeant
If it is the Windows Live Messenger you mean, go to 'Tools', 'Options' and select the 'General' Tab. Under the sign-in part, the 1st box stops it from loading when starting up windows.

Gray

M

mad_mo

Ive stuck with the old 4.7 version. Your problem is simple to fix in this version but the newer messenger seems to be a bugger to control, that why I dont use it.

insty66

Corporal
Gray,
Thanks I'll try when i get home:PDT_Xtremez_30:

MM

It's the newer one and you're right it is a pig to control and I also know I deserve everything for using microsoft messenger.

M

monobrow

If it is the Windows Live Messenger you mean, go to 'Tools', 'Options' and select the 'General' Tab. Under the sign-in part, the 1st box stops it from loading when starting up windows.

Gray

If you still want it to load up though, but want to stop it popping up when you start up....

Same options but leave "Run at startup" ticked, and un tick "open main window when messenger starts" That way it starts, but only as a little icon near your clock

Also, you might want to un tick "open Live Messenger Today" cos dunno about you, but that annoys the pi$$ out of me!

Take it easy bud!

Last edited:

insty66

Corporal
This is why I like the Goat! cheerfull folk (TM perhaps excepted from the cheerfull bit) helping biffs in thier minute of need.

Thanks everyone:PDT_Xtremez_30: hopefully my biffnes is now cured and I'll stop the annoying stuff happening.

Mono....................you too!:PDT_Xtremez_28:

M

monobrow

Just remember that geeks are handy to know in an hour of computer biffness

::D:

insty66

Corporal
I'd only call you a geek to your face:PDT_Xtremez_14:

When i need help on stuff like this on line, you're a well informed and helpful individual with a good working knowledge of all things computery!

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I went into start up configuration and I'm a rigger ffs!!!

Click start-run
Type in msconfig and enter
You'll then get the system configuration utility
On the tabs across the top you'll see startup at the far right. Click it.
Now you'll get a list of all the programs that fire up when you start up your computer. You can drag the margins along so you can get a clue as to what each program is called.
Simply deselect each box you want to stop loading up on start.
Then click apply.
It'll want to restart so allow it to.
When you have restarted it'll come up saying you are using the utility. You can click the box to stop the message.
Its good and you can stop all that unused crap from cluttering up you toolbar at the bottom right and make start up times much quicker.

Hope it helps.
If you biff it up its easy to go back and correct it!!

M

monobrow

Crikey MrMasher!

Thats a bit of a brash way of doing it, but that is a very handy place to switch off annoying programs that launch at startup.

Just don't switch off your antivirus + firewall!!!!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Crikey MrMasher!

Thats a bit of a brash way of doing it, but that is a very handy place to switch off annoying programs that launch at startup.

Just don't switch off your antivirus + firewall!!!!

I found it by doing a search a few years back. Got sick and tired of all the programs taking ages to load up.
Does the job for me lovely as a lot of programs dont seem to have the option there to only load up when you want it.

It might be brash but it does me fine.
What do you do then out of interest?

insty66

Corporal
I went into start up configuration and I'm a rigger ffs!!!

Click start-run
Type in msconfig and enter
You'll then get the system configuration utility
On the tabs across the top you'll see startup at the far right. Click it.
Now you'll get a list of all the programs that fire up when you start up your computer. You can drag the margins along so you can get a clue as to what each program is called.
Simply deselect each box you want to stop loading up on start.
Then click apply.
It'll want to restart so allow it to.
When you have restarted it'll come up saying you are using the utility. You can click the box to stop the message.
Its good and you can stop all that unused crap from cluttering up you toolbar at the bottom right and make start up times much quicker.

Hope it helps.
If you biff it up its easy to go back and correct it!!

This post is worth a single thank you for the typing effort alone:PDT_Xtremez_30:

The earlier posts sorted me for my needs but if a rigger can do it so can I :PDT_Xtremez_42:

As i said before the goat is excellent at reminding me why the mob can be a great place to be

Thank you all and I'm off to trash my pooter!

Back