• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Supporting a family on basic pay

Jamesm_he

LAC
Hi All!

I'm interested in joining the RAF but have just one thing stopping me, I have a family and I'm currently in full time employment so I pay all the bills to support my boy and fiancé, the problem is the pay you get in basic training wouldn't be enough to cover the rent and bills etc as well as food for them. I'm sure there must be others in the same situation, does anyone know if the RAF have any extra family pay? The plan will be to get married and eventually be in married quarters, it's just whilst in training that I wouldn't be able to manage.

Any help will be much appreciated! James.

During the recruiting process, you will be informed of how much your salary will be during Phase 1 and 2 training and the further pay structure on promotion to SAC. You will also be asked if these amounts will be sufficient to cover all your outgoings and support your family. There is also a question on the AFCO 4 which you will fill out asking if you have any kids under 16 who are financially dependent on you.

We do not offer any other financial incentives other than the salary you will have been told about, the decision is yours and your families to make as to whether you can manage throughout your training. I know this may sound a wee bit harsh but there it is. Can your family not be accommodated with friends/relatives during this period??

Married quarter entitlement is a minefield in itself , chances are you will only be allocated a quarter after Phase 2 training on posting to your first unit.

R

Replicant

Does your fiance work? If she doesn't then the drop in wages would entitle you to more benefits to help cover the costs of everything. If I am successful with my application, the first thing I have to do is notify the council to let them know that I am going to be taking a drop in wages which means my family and I are entitled to more entitlements (bit of a mouthful).

What I'm trying to say is that it all depends on your family situation. I am a council tenant and we have an 19 month year old child, hence my girlfriend doesn't work, so she is entitled to benefits to a certain extent. If my situation changes the benefits will fall or rise accordingly.

Hope this helps!:pDT_Xtremez_26: