• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

t.v. signl interference with HDMI connected

Need some advice please. Finally upgraded to HD, and decided to connect my BT vision box up with a HDMI cable, everything works fine except for a few choice channels (inc. ITV) that although displayed in the 'guide' aren't watchable. I've looked at the signal strengh which seems fine, its the quality that is v.poor normally around 13% (all the other channels are 100%), these are also the only channels that are transmitted on 850Mhz. I decided to have a play and connected it up with a scart instead and funnily enough everything works fine (although I am missing out on picture quality now), tried again with another HDMI cable same result!

I'm obviously thinking interference through the cables, the HDMI cables weren't cheap so the screening should be up to scratch so am going to go and buy a better quality Aerial cable, fingers crossd this works!

Any further advice or stories of similar problems would be most welcome.

Cheers in advance

Stuck!

T

The Masked Geek

It's not the HDMI cables; the box should send the same signal type to your TV regardless of which channel you are viewing so you'll either get all or nothing.

As it's a digital signal, I am using the cheapest HDMI leads that I could find and I get exactly the same picture quality as with my sister's £80 monster cable.

Look at your receiver / aerial.

Last edited:

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
It's not the HDMI cables; the box should send the same signal type to your TV regardless of which channel you are viewing so you'll either get all or nothing.

As it's a digital signal, I am using the cheapest HDMI leads that I could find and I get exactly the same picture quality as with my sister's £80 monster cable.

Check the fit of the connections on the cable ends,these can often be the cause of interfearence problems on TV's.Dont buy cheap cabling,it's quite crap & caused no end of problems when I was a service tech for NTL/VM thanks to diy'ers moving their cable service.ideally you need a CT100/RG6 or equvelent.
Try here:
http://mediacables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_10

I have my home wired with RG6 cabling,use cheapo SCART & self made fly leads,never had any problems.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
One of the reason I got rid of my BT Vision box
No matter what we did some of the channels were unwatchable
Stuck Sky in exact same place no change of kit perfect

T

The Masked Geek

Check the fit of the connections on the cable ends,these can often be the cause of interfearence problems on TV's..

He's only getting the problems on one or two channels. It cannot be the HDMI cables unless the channels in question make the BT vision box use a different type of transmission down the cables, which I doubt very much...

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
He's only getting the problems on one or two channels. It cannot be the HDMI cables unless the channels in question make the BT vision box use a different type of transmission down the cables, which I doubt very much...

Thats what happened to mine the picture kept breaking up
You couldn't watch some channels for instance after about 14:00 yet if you stuck the freeview on the T.V. you could get the channels crystal clear

StickyFingers

Sergeant
I thought that digital channels were split up and Multiplexed together so if hes having problems with 3 or 4 channels I bet a pound to a penny they are being sent down the same multiplexed line. Thats means your box is shagged I reckon. If you have a friend around with a BT vision box ask to have a lend of his and see if the problem persists. That or tune it in again, re-align your aerial or find out what channels are multiplexed together on your local TV transitter that you are receving from Multiplexing info, to see if thats the problem, there are hundereds of websites out there with that gen on.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant

I meant the fly leads or co-axial cable,not the HDMI leads.
Wonder if the OP had a cordless phone close to the BT Vision box? They can sometimes interfear with the TV channels on digital platforms.

T

The Masked Geek

I meant the fly leads or co-axial cable,not the HDMI leads.

Ah, your quoting of my HDMI comment lead me to believe otherwise.

Your point about the cordless phone is a valid one however.

Wireless routers can also interfere although they are more likely to interfere with a digital TV sender.

Well got home today, armed with new cable ready to do battle with it only to find the bloody thing is working now! BT are still due to come out and have a look on friday so think I'll wait and see what they've got to say as the signal quality is still poor. All the connections are secure and they're are no other wireless devices close by. I'll post again the end of the week once they've been out and let you know what they say.

Cheers for all your help and advice, knew I could rely on good old e-goat!

Oberon305

Chairborne
Well got home today, armed with new cable ready to do battle with it only to find the bloody thing is working now! BT are still due to come out and have a look on friday so think I'll wait and see what they've got to say as the signal quality is still poor. All the connections are secure and they're are no other wireless devices close by. I'll post again the end of the week once they've been out and let you know what they say.

Cheers for all your help and advice, knew I could rely on good old e-goat!

I got Sky HD late last year and had problems from the start that were intermittent. Ending up changing my box twice (now on 3rd and working fine), so I wouldn't be surprised if your problems mysteriously re-appear! :PDT_Xtremez_41:

I had a similar problem with my first vision box when I signed up the other month.

It was partially down to the fact the transmitter I was receiving was running on reduced power for maintenance, after a few days the live tv was back to normal.

On the HD side of things the box kept resetting the resolution to SD and could not play any of the downloaded HD content except the free test video.

Got an engineer out and after a few failed attempts to get it working he gave us a new box which has worked fine since.

I found the tech support guys knew less about how btvision worked than I do and had to mess about for best part of 2 weeks before they sent the engineer out.

Re: t.v. signl interference with HDMI connected

Well engineer turned up today, late but was to be expected! Anyway what a complete waste of time. He knew bugger all and left stratching his head, I'm expecting a phone call tomorrow although from whom I have no idea.

Fcuk it, sky HD here I come!!

Thought I'd post the conclusion. BT have washed they're hands of it and have blamed my t.v which they think is drawing to much power through the HDMI connection. Anyway cancelled all my BT contracts in protest.....that'll tell them.......er, ok maybe not! Decided on Virgin media so fingers crossed that all works ok.

Stuck!

T

The Masked Geek

Let me get this right:

BT think that your TV draws too much power over the HDMI lead when you change to ITV on your BT Vision box?

What a bunch of fcuking clowns. It's about time these firms started paying proper techies to sit on their helpdesks rather than flowchart monkeys.

Back