• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tell me about the Gen Tech Mech trade.

• Thread starter Thread starter Fablon biff chit
  • Start date Start date
F

Fablon biff chit

I'm looking to remuster from tg18 and looking for a warts and all assessment of the GTM trade. I spoke to a JT out here in BAS about it and he was helpful and I am asking for any more opinions?

also, what the difference between GTM and GTW(orkshops)?

Many thanks
Ignorant Stacker!!

Martin Blank

Sergeant
ok plain and simple Gen Tech Ws is your man with his hands on the machines, drills millers welders and the like for the fabrication of parts and repair of a/c and any other bits not readily available.
also a very very small trade with a draw down thats been going on for years and making some great guys very bitter.....btw i'm not one just know loads.
Gen Tech M is the new Uber Ground tradesman........ok he's a jack of all master of none but you'd want him helping you out on det if he's good at his job as they're fixers bodgers and will manage to scrounge, make or *******ise to get you what you want if they can.........btw i am one.
I joined as a Gen Tech Gse many moons ago and have just assimilated and got my Mt tech implant. about time i say even though many dissagree, its good stuff.

the new GTM is a cross breed of the GSE tech and MT tech having to learn all the ins and outs of MT and GSE, dirty work it can be and we get to visit all the lovely dets all over the world every 12-24 months.
A lot depends on whether your mechanically minded like **** jobs for little thanks...except the Sqn's will love you if you fix their kit with minimal fuss when they break it ;)
I have travelled the world worked in mainstream gse (hyd rigs, genny's etc)
i've worked on radar, air conditioning, and now i'm fixing Mt vehicles, it all depends what you want.
It can be hard work rewarding work pain in the arse work it all depends where you end up and who your bosses are like anything else.
just remember if you do it it's 18 months at ST Athan......
plus there's only 1 entry this year and its already in training.

another plus is we're not the poor man of the techy world any more its all a level pay 2000 playing field now :)

hope it helps i'll check back if you have any other questions.

F

Fablon biff chit

Yeah, I want to be an mt fitter but I also want to be able to use lathe's, etc. How easy is it to get on welding courses and such.

Many thanks for your detailed reply, you answered a question I never thought of, the workshop trade being small. I imagine its full of civvies too.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
no chance of lathing or milling as an mt fitter, might get a welding course dependant on posting but it has to be remote....i know Saxa Vord had an MT and GSE welder but that was cause no workshops....and now no Saxa
plus these days as a GTM you could end up never being employed in mT apart from post training fams or vice versa

J

Jolly1990

Gen Tech Mech training at saints

Gen Tech Mech training at saints

can any 1 please tell me what the training for gen tech mech involves at Saints i know about the workshop sides but i was asked in my filter interview about the second part of it, and i completely blanked as i was stumped any Info would be greatly appreciated as i will have my final interview soon Thanks

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Jolly - Contact Grease-Monkey - he has all the information, I'm out of it now as I retired earlier in the year.
Best of luck

Martin Blank

Sergeant
There are colourblind GT GSE's, M's and MT Fitters, they just arent allowed to drive onto the airfield.
Gotta be CP2 safe

I would advise you to go and visit MTMS/GEF at your unit (if your unit has one) who will give you advice. The trade I have become GTM is not what I joined to do although there are no options now. The now generation GTMs are well trained, highly deployable and have a future.?! 18 months at saints and restarting from the bottom of a trade isn't for everyone though......

Hope this helps

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Snap, ;)

I also think that it's now policy for all technical trades to not be colourblind as we have a glut of recruits so we can take our pick for these trades, it's just one less thing to worry about. I may be wrong though.

Last edited:

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Snap, ;)

I also think that it's now policy for all technical trades to not be colourblind as we have a glut of recruits so we can take our pick for these trades, it's just one less thing to worry about. I may be wrong though.
The gentleman makes a valid point, a call to an AFCO (or whatever they're called nowdays) might be a good idea I spose.

J

Jolly1990

Jolly - Contact Grease-Monkey - he has all the information, I'm out of it now as I retired earlier in the year.
Best of luck

I Pm'd Grease-monkey and unfortunately i received no reply can any one else help me with my question?

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Jolly,
It's been a long time since I did my basic trade at Saints but I think most things are the same format just a bit more in depth.
You will do metal bashing basics, you will attend a schools phase which deals with trade related sciences and maths.
You will be taught about engines diesel, petrol and basic jet, there will be phases on pneumatics, hydraulics and basic electrics.
You will learn about the relevant paperwork, engineering documentation.
You will learn about vehicles and their systems.
you will not learn about everything we work on in trade as usually when there's something new you get handed a book or these days a computer tablet and told to crack on.
It's a wide and varied system of work but the big issue is it's not Aircraft, which means alot of our kit is old has no spares and even the new stuff has been procured badly.
But after 23 1/2 years I'm still doing the job I signed up for and wouldn't swap it for a Sqn any day of the week.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Your sig is incorrect Grease Monkey
We don't check axle stands they aren't GSE we do check your racks and jacks tho :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back