• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thankfully found the right forum to post! Please help

• Thread starter Thread starter Gazinmanchester
  • Start date Start date
G

Gazinmanchester

Hi everyone.

I am applying to join the RAF to become and Int officer.

I have a family and need to establish a few things before I go ahead and take the plunge.

What I need to know is:

1. During initial officer training, how much time does a recruit get to travel home to see the family? (I am aware there are 2 weeks leave in the 30 week programme) Practically would it be once every 2 weeks, one weekend a month, not at all etc?

2. As an int officer how much overseas travel is there likely to be? The careers bloke said I'll be away for 6 months or more for certain in the first year or so, where as the impression I get from the website is that I'd be based in the UK with the occasional few weeks away on detachment.

Basically I have a family and if I am going to spend all my time, all the time away from them (i.e. regularly 6 months at a time) I will need to ask myself if this is the job for me. During IOT I'll undobtably have a fair amount of separation from them so I don't really think I want to go through that, then spend 6 months away from them immediately following.

However, int is something I am incredibly focused on doing, and the RAF seems like a great career (opportunities, education etc) so my family and I are willing to take the rough with the smooth.

Me and my missus aren't married yet but if based in the UK, would rent close to base until we did get married.

Thanks so much for your help and I apologise for the long winded nature of the post.

Gaz

Back