• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Clock is ticking - and not in my favour!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Freddyf
  • Start date Start date
F

Freddyf

Hi All

I'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me!

Here's the deal - I'm 35, I'll turn 36 in August 2012... If I'm being realistic - What are my odds of getting in the RAF before I hit the deadline of hitting 36?

I have considered my options and want to apply for Personnel Support.

I know this counts for nothing but I have previously served in the Army for 10 years (but have been out for 8 years)..

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi All

Here's the deal - I'm 35, I'll turn 36 in August 2012... If I'm being realistic - What are my odds of getting in the RAF before I hit the deadline of hitting 36?

I know this counts for nothing but I have previously served in the Army for 10 years (but have been out for 8 years)..

I'd say pretty tight but you never know - the sooner you apply the sooner you'll get a yes/no I'd guess. Pers Support may not even be open for recruiting at the moment so I suggest you get ringing your nearest AFCO sharpish.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Your previous service in the Army will count for quite a lot but expectations of you will be higher.

You will be expected to have a very good fitness level for your age and pass the fitness test.

Good luck.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Hi All

Get down the AFCO and see what the lead-in time for the trade(s) you want actually are at the moment, and whether you can realsitically get the application process completed before your clock runs out. Or even ask if you start the process now whether running over your 36th birthday by a few months will prevent you getting in.

Good luck.

F

Freddyf

Thanks for your replies - will get on the blower tonight and see what I can divulge...

wench02

SAC
RAF careers page on facebook says personnel support may opening up shortly... get your application form in!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
The age limit for Pers Spt is 35, ie, in training by your 36th birthday. Whilst it is not an impossibility, time is massively against you. What you are up against is trade availability, in that will Pers Spt open in time for you to apply and get into training before August? Remember, it's not a fast process to get in to service and can indeed take many months. You mention that you spent 10 years in the Army - in the past, the Trade Sponsor may have taken a punt and your age may not have been too much of an issue. Sadly for you, nowadays recruiting for the RAF and Pers Spt, is very buoyant so the risk will not be taken - after all, why take someone who is unlikely to make a full pensionable career over someone the RAF can use for the best part of a working lifetime? Entry requirements for each trade (age, quals, etc) are hard and fast, even more so now, so any leaway given is extremely rare.

My advice is to liaise with your local AFCO and ascertain when the trade is likely to open (unfortunately I don't have that info to hand) and you can at least make a decision about your future.

Good luck.

Last edited:
L

littlered

Age limit intake

Age limit intake

Hi,

As everyone has already pointed out you may have longer to apply with your previous Army service but this year's intake has an age limit for Pers Support. I applied for Pers Support Officer direct from civie streets in Jan 2012 and was too old for this intake. I survived OASC last year wasn't selected but was "strongly encouraged" to come back this year but now I'm too old! I'm 29 but the upper age limit this intake was 27.

You can wait for the next intake and see if they have lifted the age limit or try a different trade. Intake seems to be once a year for that trade at the moment. I'm now looking at the Reserves as they seem to be recruiting.

Go for it anyway, good luck.

Last edited:
Back