• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The GS screwdriver

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ok fellow techies time to own up. What tasks official and unofficial have you undertaken with the trusty old GS?

:PDT_Xtremez_42:"Allegedly" one may have been used as an emergency towing arm shear pin back in the day.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

6A1

SAC
Magic piece of kit even for a lecky.
Used them to hold together a string of trolley accs on Friday afternoon return to the battery room.
The larger variety was used as mock sword fights when waiting for a.c to return. We used them for just about every task including piercing of oil cans, levers. technical adjustment tools or knocking sticks to the unwashed. Without it very little would have worked. Still have two large ones which are used whenever nothing else will do the job!!!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
There was a Mod in the Tornado GR 1 gun bay which necessitated gently filing out a small area of block aluminium from the mounting, but there was no room to do it without a complete bay strip.

Grind and temper the GS tip to a sharp edge, wrap the shaft in cloth and lever and scrape away with the GS until you have scalloped away enough metal, and a lovely job done.

a toy that could be used for a range of games from the classic "spin the GS for a kicking" to "flinch" where 2 lineys throw their GS at each others feet and try and get the GS to stick in the ground as close to their opponent and make them move their feet. Finally, any decent liney would always be bouncing their GS off the pan as they walked along (top tip, bounce off the handle and not the metal end)

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
a toy that could be used for a range of games from the classic "spin the GS for a kicking" to "flinch" where 2 lineys throw their GS at each others feet and try and get the GS to stick in the ground as close to their opponent and make them move their feet. Finally, any decent liney would always be bouncing their GS off the pan as they walked along (top tip, bounce off the handle and not the metal end)

When I was a nurse we used to play 'flinch' in the club with darts - I nailed someone to the floor once and had to take him to A&E for a tetanus injection.

If you lose your window lock key a Philips will do the job well enough.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer

I can still amaze people on jobs with my ability to bounce a GS as I walk :-)

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Finally, any decent liney would always be bouncing their GS off the pan as they walked along (top tip, bounce off the handle and not the metal end)

I actually had a liney do that next to me whilst I had my arm in a fuel tank changing a stack.....I nearly ran the prick through with it for that.......

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Wood Screw Driver,
Slotted Bolt Driver
Dzus Key substitute
Seal Breaker
Box opener
Crate opener
Land Rover starter key
Door Key
Rivet Chisel
Wood Chisel
Electrical Connector
Electrical Fuse
Door Wedge
Panel Wedge
Panel destroyer
Bolt removal tool (with Hammer, Heavy, for the use of)
Staple remover
Hole Punch
Scriber
Straight Edge
Measuring Rule
Depth Gauge
Dip-Stick
Fingernail Cleaner
Hole enlarger
Chamfering tool
Screw destroyer....

Added bit:
45 Gallon Drum Cap Opener (with Hammer, Heavy, for the use of)
C Spanner substitute
Oil Cap Opener....

Last edited:
M

MakkaPakka1

Don't forget it's use as a rivet block in those hard to reach places.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Wood Screw Driver,
Slotted Bolt Driver
Dzus Key substitute
Seal Breaker
Box opener
Crate opener
Land Rover starter key
Door Key
Rivet Chisel
Wood Chisel
Electrical Connector
Electrical Fuse
Door Wedge
Panel Wedge
Panel destroyer
Staple remover
Hole Punch
Scriber
Straight Edge
Measuring Rule
Depth Gauge
Dip-Stick
Fingernail Cleaner
Hole enlarger
Chamfering tool
Screw destroyer....

Added bit:
C Spanner substitute
Oil Cap Opener....

Razor?
Sideburn trimmer?
Dr Who's Sonic Screwdriver?

Martin Blank

Sergeant
In the wonderful world of GEF the rules were every job should be capable of completion with just the application of a hammer,gs and adjustable spanner.

ps sometimes a large enough adjustable can be substituted for the hammer........

G

Gord

As an apprentice rigger back in the 60's, we had to make one as part of our apprenticeship whilst taking a course in the ancillary trades of blacksmithing, coppersmithing and welding. I too have used mine as a bucking bar in hard to reach places when putting down anything up to a 1/8th rivet also as mentioned used it for a chisel to remove rivet heads and to open a variety of tins of goodies or pry something loose. Damned fine tools, I still have mine 54 years after I made it out of 1/2" hex rod then case hardened it using a furnace and a bucket of water. Not sure I remember what the colour of the metal had to be for the final quenching though blue or yellow seem to ring a bell but of course 54yrs later I could be wrong on that.

I do remember after heating to cherry red, it was a quick dip in the water then out again and watch until the metal went through various colours until it reached the right one then you dunked it back in the water until it was cool, after that you could do just about anything with it and not have it come to any harm as long as you used a file to sharpen it or take off any burrs and not a grindstone or sander which would overheat it and remove the hardness.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
There was a Mod in the Tornado GR 1 gun bay which necessitated gently filing out a small area of block aluminium from the mounting, but there was no room to do it without a complete bay strip.

Grind and temper the GS tip to a sharp edge, wrap the shaft in cloth and lever and scrape away with the GS until you have scalloped away enough metal, and a lovely job done.

Not to mention cocking in the Mauser Cannon & & tightening bomb suspension lugs...

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Wood Screw Driver,
Slotted Bolt Driver
Dzus Key substitute
Seal Breaker
Box opener
Crate opener
Land Rover starter key
Door Key
Rivet Chisel
Wood Chisel
Electrical Connector
Electrical Fuse
Door Wedge
Panel Wedge
Panel destroyer
Staple remover
Hole Punch
Scriber
Straight Edge
Measuring Rule
Depth Gauge
Dip-Stick
Fingernail Cleaner
Hole enlarger
Chamfering tool
Screw destroyer....

Added bit:
C Spanner substitute
Oil Cap Opener....

All of the above with added

Paint Can opener.

Back