• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The new machine

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
After what seems like weeks of messing about, working up a sweat and generally being frustrated, I finally bit the bullet and installed a motherboard and new SATA 160Gb hard drive (and several fans) into this machine, but it's now driving me nuts. I have the 'old' SATA drive (80Gb) connected in order to transfer some of the old files to the new one. I have managed to get Firefox to work, but not as well as the old one did.
F@H works now.

1. I cannot get the laser printer to print (HP Laserjet 1010), despite trying to run the (downloaded) drivers files. I cannot try the Inkjet cos' it's out of ink, but the drivers went in OK and the "Printers & Faxes" bit says it's there. I don't think the LPT1 cable has bust; it worked last time. The installation seems to 'freeze' just after the "found new device' message.

2. E-mail has gone weird. Output on one account (lineone), incoming on another (Outlook Express). It's not easy trying to remember passwords over thee years old, but I can get them via webmail on the Orange account. I think I've done something stupid, (again) but cannot figure out what.
(I have two machines connected to an Ethernet switch thence to a Mentor ADSL modem).

3. How do I find my old OE contacts list (and/or Bookmarks) off the old disk and insert it into the new copy of Outlook Express ?

All the above is 'running' (?) on a nice shiny new kosher copy of XP Pro from Microsoft, direct (at 21.5% VAT).

XB
:PDT_Xtremez_26:

Back