• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Windows Update system

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
This information was sent to me by a pal in the 'States who gets "Windows Secrets & Support Alert Newsletter":-

It seems that "Microsoft had been silently downloading Windows Update (WU) executable components on users' computers — even when the users' auto-update settings required advance permission."

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/07/03/upcoming-update-to-windows-update.aspx

If anyone would like to see the whole thing, drop me a PM. It's too big for the thread.

XB

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Not recommended or the more paranoid of you goaters. The criteria for certain windows updates changed, some forced updates etc. got to love microsoft.

G

grumpyoldb

I don't allow automatic updates..........

It's just a personal choice............+ the fact that I'm a suspicious barsteward.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I don't allow automatic updates..........

It's just a personal choice............+ the fact that I'm a suspicious barsteward.

Not a problem if you are a linux user, the windows update is essential for those that use XP/Vista and i wouldn't recommend any windows user disable windows updates.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not recommended or the more paranoid of you goaters. The criteria for certain windows updates changed, some forced updates etc. got to love microsoft.

Yeah, they're buggers for fixing their software arent they!

Back