• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking of joining - A question about convictions.

• Thread starter Thread starter Bahnstormer
  • Start date Start date
B

Bahnstormer

Hi all, I'm thinking of applying and whilst reading some info on the website I saw this:

"If you have spent or unspent convictions, you may be excluded from some branches of the RAF."

Now, I was convicted of drink driving back in March 2006 (stupid thing to have done, I know so no slagging please). I was given a 27 month ban (which is obviously now over) and 200 hours community service (also completed a long time ago) but no fine or points on my licence.

I'm primarily interested in joining as a WSOp, would I be barred from doing this because of my stupidity back then? If so, what branches of the RAF would still accept me?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice is greatly appreciated.

K

Krusty_Crab

Hi all, I'm thinking of applying and whilst reading some info on the website I saw this:

"If you have spent or unspent convictions, you may be excluded from some branches of the RAF."

Now, I was convicted of drink driving back in March 2006 (stupid thing to have done, I know so no slagging please). I was given a 27 month ban (which is obviously now over) and 200 hours community service (also completed a long time ago) but no fine or points on my licence.

I'm primarily interested in joining as a WSOp, would I be barred from doing this because of my stupidity back then? If so, what branches of the RAF would still accept me?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice is greatly appreciated.

You will need to talk to the AFCO about criminal records and find out when your conviction is 'spent'. The rules apply equally to all trades, the same standards apply throughout the RAF. Drink driving and drug taking are taken VERY seriously in the Armed Forces. Irresponsible behaviour cannot be tolerated in an organisation that relies on teamwork and where people put their lives in each others hands. Consequently the recruiting procedure will want to ensure that anyone has been drink/drug free for a considerable amount of time (years rather than months!)
Take a look at this website http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm
Community Service is 5 years before conviction is 'spent', however you will still need to check with the AFCO if this will prevent you from applying.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don't ask your AFCO go down your CAB

Don't ask your AFCO go down your CAB

The AFCO are not there to give you legal advice as they are not really trained in this area, they will give you a form to sign that will give you some information on when punishments are spent or not.

If you sign this form and fail to declare an unspent offence then you are witholding important information, you would not be able to blame the AFCO if you put down the wrong answer.

If you want free legal advice on this then arrange an appointment at your local Citizens Advice Bureau. If your d&d offence is unspent then you've got zero chance until it becomes spent as once you declare this particluar offence the AFCO aren't allowed to process you any further.

Y

Yidmister

As you stated the conviction is spent, bu the RAF might have an issue with your integrity at interview when they ask if you have any prior convictions. I am not saying it will bar you from joining the RAF, but the interviewer will have serious concerns about it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not quite spent

Not quite spent

As you stated the conviction is spent, bu the RAF might have an issue with your integrity at interview when they ask if you have any prior convictions. I am not saying it will bar you from joining the RAF, but the interviewer will have serious concerns about it.

If you look here you can see that the community service is not spent, unless the individual was under 18 at the time of conviction, as it has a 5 year rehab period.

As I said earlier it's probably best you seek advice from a CAB before you risk lying on an application form.

Once it's spent and you are not going for certain trades then you don't need to declare it.

Good Luck

G

GmanJock

It will stop you going for trades that require a conviction free past, ie RAF Police, they say that once the conviction is spent, you may apply for the trades that are conviction free but i dont think youd get in, or i for that matter.

i am going through a similar thing, got a £200 fine at court for a retarded reason and to be honest was surprised i got the fine in the first place. its been paid but isnt spent for 5 years.

Iv been told that if i go for a trade that doesnt require you to have a conviction free record then the AFCO will apply for a waiver, which is normally quite successful. Waivers are issued for applicants who may just be under the educational levels but pass the AST or those with small convictions.
the pain in the hoop is that just now they have closed appications to everything due to it all being full with recession etc and this also means waivers have been stopped for the time being. I have been told to get back to the AFCO around xmas and theyl see what they can do.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

im trying to go back regiment, and was told my previous service will come into contention which is good, as will what the afco think so fingers crossed :PDT_Xtremez_14:

B

Bahnstormer

Thanks for the replies guys. Just to clarify, I wasn't considering lying on the application, I was interested to know if I should try to apply now or wait until the conviction is spent. I have over a year left to go before the 5 years is up, so I'll wait for that to pass and then go for it I think.

Once again, thanks for reading/replying :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:
Back