• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking of joining as a FOA

W

woody35

I am thinking of joining the RAF as a FOA and I am after some information on this role.

I am 35 married with 5 children and would like any information on what life will be like for my family if possible.

I have thought of joining the reserves but as I am still young enough to join the regulars (just) thought I would try.

Thanks in advance.

Woody

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Although not impossible I would say that Halton (the recruit depot and home of basic training) will be tough for a 35 year old family man...how fit are you? How long have you spent away from your family before? How old are your kids? How are you with being told to get on with stuff when you have a spotty 17 year old as your room/flight leader?

Personally I wouldn't like to be doing it but the choice is all yours!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I shouldn't let your age worry you as long as you can have a god level of fitness. Although not quite as old as you, I was the best part of 10 years older than the majority of the guys but had no problems getting through training at all. To be honest, the hardest part of training was trying not to laugh during the morning inspections. Even the sight of my nicely polished and bulled shoes flying through the air and towards the far wall managed to phase me. Was even funnier if they were someone else's.

If you have your own property, you are probably better off keeping your family where they are until you've gone at least gone through training as you're time won't be your own for most of the time but you should be okay for travelling home most weekends. Towards the end of your training you need to start researching where the best places might be for you to get posted in the interests of your family (work for spouse, schools for kids, family support etc.) if you decide to move them with you. Don't feel compelled to move your family with you. Many of us have opted to keep our families where they are and commute each weekend for the majority of our careers; do whatever works for you.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
W

woody35

Thanks for all your replies.

The reason im going for FOA is my age, there isnt many jobs open for the more mature recruit and this seemed the better of what was available.

My fitness isnt fantastic but then it isnt poor it needs some work, regards my family we havent decided weather they will stay put or come with me its ongoing.

I have previously stated that I would consider the reserves but as I have a chance to serve full time I would lije to give it a shot.

My boss at the moment is a 23 yr old idiot and I havent lumped him yet I just smile inwards.