• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tool Tags

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
I dunno it felt like a random moment! There is a reason for everything in the RAF I suppose, no idea in this case tho!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So pedants can insist that they all face the same way on the tool kit.

L

Little Tronk

It's based on the American 'traffic light' system of tool control.

dkh51250

Sergeant
In days of old in MT control, one tag would be attached to the vehicle keys, the other would be on the display board and would be turned to reflect vehicle availability or otherwise.

The use of these tags in MT predated tool control as it is known today. Individual tool kits were issued against loan cards and snap checks were carried out by the Chief who ran the stores. That is the way it operated at Waddo in the mid 60s.

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
In days of old in MT control, one tag would be attached to the vehicle keys, the other would be on the display board and would be turned to reflect vehicle availability or otherwise.

The use of these tags in MT predated tool control as it is known today. Individual tool kits were issued against loan cards and snap checks were carried out by the Chief who ran the stores. That is the way it operated at Waddo in the mid 60s.

I remember those line ups!! "anyone got a ratchet screwdriver to swap for a 2BA socket and a ball pein 'ammer?"

Memories of Stormy Gales on the Line E at Dispersal remembered.

pm. me if your era.

No such thing as tool tags anymore they are tool tallys now.

Didn't matter what colour they were at Kinloss, Nimrod hydraulic fliud on your hands used to lift the colour striaght off so we had plain white.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Couple of bay's I worked in used to put the red tag on the board if the tool was U/S or missing.Missing usually meant some git had left it on/in a jet he was working on!

Back