• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tornado Soots and OX26.

DHI

LAC
OX26, Can be fatal according to relevant data sheets, when heated to working temperature. The subject of which came up recently with regard to carrying out adjustments to a running RB199 and in particular NH dot mute settings. Question: what is your procedure for carrying out these adjustments with regard to H&S now? When I was around, it was get under there and do it, toute suite!!!!
Oh by the way, I have been around 199s for around 30 years now and still kicking!!!!!!!

I have had more lungfuls of vapourised OX26 than I care to remember; so this, and the mountain of asbestos in the hangar we lived in at Bagram, just adds to the compo claim if I ever pick up a respiratory disease.

But it is probably worth bearing in mind that as well as the mighty Sumpy, other trades were regularly involved in see offs and hot winch backs in HASs. The Adour as fitted to the Jag was really good at having leaky labyrinth seals so a lot of their exhaust gases were laden with OX26. I don�t know what Buccs and Tooms ran on but I would hazard a guess that whatever it was isn�t going to give you the best of experiences.

Tornado was quite bad especially the old 101. It would not be unusual to pour a pint of oil out of the donut seal and if that was worn and you didn�t rag the inside of the door everytime you dropped it, there would soon be a couple of pints floating around the bay from the breather too.

So it would appear that wasn't the 40 a day habit I once had, but oil to DERD 2495 which used to stain my lung butter bright orange on the first tube clearing cough of the day.

Jimps

Odie

Sergeant
I remember the little panic in the late 80's/early 90's when some clever person discovered that the exhaust fumes contained formaldehyde. As a temporary measure, whenever you needed to go aft of the tailerons when the engine was running in a HAS you had to wear a face welly - the requirement was quietly dropped when some cleverer person worked out the actual exposure was negligible.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
OX26, Can be fatal according to relevant data sheets, when heated to working temperature. The subject of which came up recently with regard to carrying out adjustments to a running RB199 and in particular NH dot mute settings. Question: what is your procedure for carrying out these adjustments with regard to H&S now? When I was around, it was get under there and do it, toute suite!!!!
Oh by the way, I have been around 199s for around 30 years now and still kicking!!!!!!!

Why in particular those adjustments?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I would have thought venting the gearboxes before checking the levels would be the most hazardous.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
I remember the little panic in the late 80's/early 90's when some clever person discovered that the exhaust fumes contained formaldehyde. As a temporary measure, whenever you needed to go aft of the tailerons when the engine was running in a HAS you had to wear a face welly - the requirement was quietly dropped when some cleverer person worked out the actual exposure was negligible.

And it didn't filter formaldehyde.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Hmmm, I can remember the mess you used to make when dumping the SPS gearbox pressure.......loads of OX26 mist!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Hmmm, I can remember the mess you used to make when dumping the SPS gearbox pressure.......loads of OX26 mist!
In the very early days we didn't use OX-26 in the SPS Gearboxes, we used ETO_25 (Esso Turbine Oil) that came in American quart cans and had a funny rispig for squirting the oil.

burglar

SAC
In the very early days we didn't use OX-26 in the SPS Gearboxes, we used ETO_25 (Esso Turbine Oil) that came in American quart cans and had a funny rispig for squirting the oil.

You forgot to add "that was a pain in the arris to use". The last place that I saw ETO 25 was at Goose after we had gone onto OX26.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

In between ETO25 and OX26, there was a trial with Castrol 2000 IIRC. Also, when venting the SPS gearboxes, next to naff all came out of the right but shedloads came out of the left for some reason.

Odie

Sergeant
In between ETO25 and OX26, there was a trial with Castrol 2000 IIRC. Also, when venting the SPS gearboxes, next to naff all came out of the right but shedloads came out of the left for some reason.

Ooo, I wonder what the difference between left and right is? I wonder which side has the APU? :PDT_Xtremez_15:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The only reason I can think of is people not fitting the cap properly, it was more awkward to lock in the proper position on the right side gearbox.

M

monobrow

Used to get covered in the bl@@dy stuff if the wind got it. All down the right leg!!

A few times I used the jacking handle (grip removed) as a funnel and directed it into a catcher... Last two pipes I seem to remember.

Pikey735

LAC
A few times I used the jacking handle (grip removed) as a funnel and directed it into a catcher... Last two pipes I seem to remember.

correct. we got issued 'hook on' catchers (same concept as fuel catchers) in the end on F3. Think the GR4 lads still have them. One of the first things I noticed when I arrived on 11 (typhoon) sqns HAS site was the absence of the burnt engine/gearbox oil smell that id got used to while on 111(f) for 6 years...... I reckon theres a fair amount of burnt OX26 in the lungs of anyone whos worked tonka........

This if I remember correctly was because the pick up for the vent inside the left hand gearbox was pretty close to the oil level, so as soon as the gearbox was vented, venturi effect drew a fair amount of oil into the pick up and out of the vent. You could get around this if you vented it very slowly, but then took the risk of cooking your right arm!!

Back